Discuss Vphase VX1 problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sion1234

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum, I'm just in need of help.

Moved into a house about 6 months ago. We have solar panels with the box etc under the stairs, but the previous owner has also had a Vphase VX1 voltage optimiser installed (I'm guessing as part of the solar package) as its wired into the solar box as well as the electricity board.
However, yesterday the vphase box started making an intermittent clicking noise (ever 30 seconds roughly) like it's tripping? . I have turned the electricity off and back on to see if this would reset it but no luck. The only time it will stop clicking is when a high amount of electricity is being used, for example when I boil the kettle.. It doesn't click. As soon as the kettle boils... It begins to click again.

Anyone have any idea on what is happening and how I can resolve it?

Kind regards

Thanks for the reply. This won't effect how my solar panel systems works I take it? Sorry if that's a dumb question I just have no idea on all of this. I'm considering just getting EDF to fit me a smart meter.

It’s not a dumb question,
As above, get an electrician in to remove the voltage optimiser, they were sold to people with the promise of reducing bills but in my opinion you need an unusual set of circumstances for it to be of any use.
It could also be detrimental to the efficiency of the solar system itself.
You will save more in a year by replacing 1 old style “light bulb” with an LED equivalent than you are likely to with your voltage optimiser.

It’s not a dumb question,
As above, get an electrician in to remove the voltage optimiser, they were sold to people with the promise of reducing bills but in my opinion you need an unusual set of circumstances for it to be of any use.
It could also be detrimental to the efficiency of the solar system itself.
You will save more in a year by replacing 1 old style “light bulb” with an LED equivalent than you are likely to with your voltage optimiser.

That's good to know. It's like a maze looking at the layout of it all under the stairs haha. I've added some pics of it all, the vphase is the one with the green led on and fuse box is above it to the left.
Do you think this will be a big and pricey job removing the it?

Attachments

• DSC_2275.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC_2274.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC_2273.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 22
Don't that either. They are another con which will cost you money, not save it.

Thanks for the advice, someone else did say that too me as well so that backs that up

I've read that these vphase box's wired in with a solar PV system stop the inverter cutting out or something when the voltage produces becomes too much, so it regulates the voltage coming back in. Mine is wired in to the pv system but would it still be OK to have it removed?

Why will a smart meter cost money?
because thee supplier can alter the tariff at will. so you get cheap leccy when you're out and not using it, , and expensive leccy when you're showering/cooking/ growing illegal plants.

Why will a smart meter cost money?

They have to be manufactured and sold to the suppliers and fitted. The suppliers pass this cost to all of us through increased bills.

The very minimum "visible" extra costs are the batteries you have to buy for the remote unit every now and then.

But look at it this way. If every one had smart meters, and every one saved money someone somewhere must be losing out, and that would appear to be the suppliers. They then have two choices, go under or increase everyones bills.

Do you know of a supplier or have an example of a supplier who does this? My supplier (Octopus Energy) charges me 14.67p/kWh + VAT no matter when I use it.

Bulb has a smart meter experimental tariff:

1600 -1900 hrs (Dinner cooking time) 29.75p per kWh
2300-0700 hrs (overnight) 7.45p per kWh
other times 12.19p per kWh.

Standing charge 20.44p per day.

This is in SE London, other areas may vary slightly.

So those consumers who do not have a smart meter will be subsidising those that do. As for the 'visible' extra costs, the one I have uses <1watt, so if I leave it on continuously it will cost less than £1.35/year, but then you don't have to use it at all.

Bulb has a smart meter experimental tariff:

1600 -1900 hrs (Dinner cooking time) 29.75p per kWh
2300-0700 hrs (overnight) 7.45p per kWh
other times 12.19p per kWh.

Standing charge 20.44p per day.

This is in SE London, other areas may vary slightly.
which appears to agree with my prediction in post #10. cheap leccy when you're not using much (if any); expensive leccy when you need to use more.

which appears to agree with my prediction in post #10. cheap leccy when you're not using much (if any); expensive leccy when you need to use more.
So they cannot change the tariff 'at will', only within the agreed times. Electricity costs vary throughout the day so if that is the tariff you choose then so be it. I choose to have a fixed tariff therefore I pay the same for every kWh I use until the end of my contract. Why choose a tariff with a cheap period when you know you're not going to be using it?
[automerge]1567010219[/automerge]

Reply to Vphase VX1 problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock