Discuss Wages we should be paid top rates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Big mistake, if you believe in something then follow it thorough and don't rely on others, you had doubts that was your mistake.
Hindsight is a great thing, but it wasn't that simple at the time. We were co-owners of the property and married. I needed to borrow against the house, I was prepared to take the risk, she wasn't and very adamant. It also didn't help that her family were dead against the idea also.
My mistake was to try and save the relationship by giving in to her concerns and ideals, a mistake I paid the price for in the long run.
I certainly don't let anyone get in the way of what I want out of my life nowadays.

one of the few good things maggie thatcher did was the right to buy scheme. but she even messed that up cos she didn't replace the houses sold with new social/council houses. thats one of the reasons there isn't enough housing stock in the country today.

one of the few good things maggie thatcher did was the right to buy scheme. but she even messed that up cos she didn't replace the houses sold with new social/council houses. thats one of the reasons there isn't enough housing stock in the country today.

She didn’t do that to help anybody, she did that to prevent people being able to strike for better wages and conditions.......

She didn’t do that to help anybody, she did that to prevent people being able to strike for better wages and conditions.......
Nonsense !! She did that for two reasons; 1) Owning your own home is fundamentally a good thing 2) For many people they'd been paying rent for so long they could have bought the place ! Just look at a road with a mix of tenanted and owner occupied properties... it's clear who's who.

Nonsense !! She did that for two reasons; 1) Owning your own home is fundamentally a good thing 2) For many people they'd been paying rent for so long they could have bought the place ! Just look at a road with a mix of tenanted and owner occupied properties... it's clear who's who.
Of course it’s a good thing....they get to tax you again when you go into care or try to pass it on.....

It’s also the reason we have an entire generation condemned to renting from private landlords......

Housing Association/Council housing needs a radical shake up !! It's a totally unfair system that's completely out of date. By all means, councils can own houses and let them out... but they should be at market rates ! Not for peanuts rent ! If you're lucky enough to qualify for Housing Benefit, then this should be increased to cover the full market rent. This would stop all those council tenants who sub-let at the market rate (like most of the Grenfell flats)... and those that have substantial incomes, who are well able to afford proper rent (the obvious example here is the late firebrand union leader Bob Crow, who I think was paid about £120k pa and lived in a council house... he thought that was totally acceptable !)

Housing Association/Council housing needs a radical shake up !! It's a totally unfair system that's completely out of date. By all means, councils can own houses and let them out... but they should be at market rates ! Not for peanuts rent ! If you're lucky enough to qualify for Housing Benefit, then this should be increased to cover the full market rent. This would stop all those council tenants who sub-let at the market rate (like most of the Grenfell flats)... and those that have substantial incomes, who are well able to afford proper rent (the obvious example here is the late firebrand union leader Bob Crow, who I think was paid about £120k pa and lived in a council house... he thought that was totally acceptable !)

Can’t argue with that zerax..

It’s also the reason we have an entire generation condemned to renting from private landlords......
Renting from private landlords is the norm in many European countries... Germany is about 61% renters, France is about 50% etc... So it's not all bad, and suits many people. If the younger generation want to own a home, it's very possible, but you have to save up and economise... two things that they find difficult. It's always been tough to buy your own home, but slightly harder these days and very fashionable to winge and moan about how unfair it is !

The Tax Poem

Tax his land, Tax his bed, Tax the table at which he's fed.

Tax his tractor, Tax his mule, Teach him taxes are the rule.

Tax his work, Tax his pay, He works for peanuts anyway!

Tax his cow, Tax his goat, Tax his pants, Tax his coat. Tax his ties, Tax his shirt, Tax his work, Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco, Tax his drink, Tax him if he tries to think.

Tax his cigars, Tax his beers, If he cries tax his tears.

Tax his car, Tax his gas, Find other ways to tax his ---.

Tax all he has, Then let him know, That you won't be done till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers, Then tax him some more, Tax him till he's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin, Tax his grave, Tax the sod in which he's laid.

Put these words Upon his tomb, 'Taxes drove me to my doom...'

When he's gone, Do not relax, Its time to apply the inheritance tax.

Renting from private landlords is the norm in many European countries... Germany is about 61% renters, France is about 50% etc... So it's not all bad, and suits many people. If the younger generation want to own a home, it's very possible, but you have to save up and economise... two things that they find difficult. It's always been tough to buy your own home, but slightly harder these days and very fashionable to winge and moan about how unfair it is !
I have one issue with your comment. People who are stuck renting can’t be expected to pay rent, living expenses and save a deposit to buy. Until you have rented and tryed it like me you won’t understand. It is impossible. Everyone I know who has bought a house has inherited money or parents have helped them. I only know one person who saved all the money themselves. It is something that needs to be taught to younger generations. The need to save money needs to be taught in school and drummed into youngsters early on. I have had cancer and had 1 year off and spent all my savings to live on, I now have a recently diagnosed autistic son and only me working. So now my partner can’t work because she needs to sort out my son. And that’s the next problem. She could be called to the school at any moment. And then try finding a part time job between the hours of 10 and 3.

I have one issue with your comment. People who are stuck renting can’t be expected to pay rent, living expenses and save a deposit to buy. Until you have rented and tryed it like me you won’t understand. It is impossible. Everyone I know who has bought a house has inherited money or parents have helped them. I only know one person who saved all the money themselves. It is something that needs to be taught to younger generations. The need to save money needs to be taught in school and drummed into youngsters early on. I have had cancer and had 1 year off and spent all my savings to live on, I now have a recently diagnosed autistic son and only me working. So now my partner can’t work because she needs to sort out my son. And that’s the next problem. She could be called to the school at any moment. And then try finding a part time job between the hours of 10 and 3. It is hard. Sometimes the here and now needs to be put first, before what happens when we retire.

I have one issue with your comment. People who are stuck renting can’t be expected to pay rent, living expenses and save a deposit to buy. Until you have rented and tryed it like me you won’t understand. It is impossible. Everyone I know who has bought a house has inherited money or parents have helped them. I only know one person who saved all the money themselves. It is something that needs to be taught to younger generations. The need to save money needs to be taught in school and drummed into youngsters early on. I have had cancer and had 1 year off and spent all my savings to live on, I now have a recently diagnosed autistic son and only me working. So now my partner can’t work because she needs to sort out my son. And that’s the next problem. She could be called to the school at any moment. And then try finding a part time job between the hours of 10 and 3. It is hard. Sometimes the here and now needs to be put first, before what happens when we retire.
Well let me just say it’s not impossible, but I tryed it and ended up so stressed and overworked I got cancer. And if I have to go through that again just to buy a house then It ain’t worth it. I’ve seen so many renters who feel like failures because they can’t buy. It’s actually upsetting to me. They feel like they have failed. But it’s the government who has failed them.

On the books,maybe should go self employed again,most are on £25 + a hour
The Tax Poem

Tax his land, Tax his bed, Tax the table at which he's fed.

Tax his tractor, Tax his mule, Teach him taxes are the rule.

Tax his work, Tax his pay, He works for peanuts anyway!

Tax his cow, Tax his goat, Tax his pants, Tax his coat. Tax his ties, Tax his shirt, Tax his work, Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco, Tax his drink, Tax him if he tries to think.

Tax his cigars, Tax his beers, If he cries tax his tears.

Tax his car, Tax his gas, Find other ways to tax his ---.

Tax all he has, Then let him know, That you won't be done till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers, Then tax him some more, Tax him till he's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin, Tax his grave, Tax the sod in which he's laid.

Put these words Upon his tomb, 'Taxes drove me to my doom...'

When he's gone, Do not relax, Its time to apply the inheritance tax.
Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
Cos I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
Cos I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet

Taxman!
Cos I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

Don't ask me what I want it for (Aahh Mr. Wilson)
If you don't want to pay some more (Aahh Mr. Heath)

Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes

And you're working for no one but me
Taxman!

Beatles

Reply to Wages we should be paid top rates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net