Discuss Wages we should be paid top rates in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

So lets try to put some perspective on this

In roughly 1999/2000 I started on £14,500 as an electrician.
Which roughly worked out £300 per week or £7.50 per hour.

Was this good or bad I have no idea

So lets try to put some perspective on this

In roughly 1999/2000 I started on £14,500 as an electrician.
Which roughly worked out £300 per week or £7.50 per hour.

Was this good or bad I have no idea
that's<min, wage today.

I was a cards in electrician in London and starting was £14,500 for all entry level sparks who just completed their training.
I think by the time I left the company about 8 years later was on around £25,000. Which would have been around 2007 ish.

I think the same company if offering around £32,000 now in London

Not sure what is funny about my comment @Murdoch

In 1996 a loaf of bread was 55p. Today it is £1.06. That is a 100% rise.

In 1996 a litre of petrol was 53p. Today it is £1.20. That is a 110% rise.

Has an electricians rate gone up by this much?

A 100% rise on bread is to be expected, although it all depends on the strength of the yeast and the temperature when left to rise.

I was last on a wage in 2007/8 and that was £23.5k for basic hours, JIB rate for electrician grade.
Up here in Hull current employed positions seem to be around £28-33k, so £32k for London would seem incredibly low to me. The cost of living up here is peanuts compared to down there.

Funny because I doubt many people would have the time and patience to work this out.

In 1996 the personal allowance was £3765. Today it is £12500 - that is a rise of 332%

Reality is that housing is the biggest rise for renters and first time buyers over the same period. Home owners in 1996 to today have seen their assets grow considerably (except in a few places in the UK)

Reality is that housing is the biggest rise for renters and first time buyers over the same period. Home owners in 1996 to today have seen their assets grow considerably (except in a few places in the UK)

I'm off to view a house in half an hour. It is up for offers over £160k. It last sold in 1998 for £27k :D

The larger Victorian houses in the area have seen a rise in the same time frame from about £80k to £250-300k

Bananas.

Reply to Wages we should be paid top rates in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock