Discuss Warning: Absolute Beginner Alert!! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I've been looking at the forums for a while now and learnt a lot from them but decided to bite the bullet and join in proper. I've studied a lot of previous newbie questions but you'll have to forgive me if I repeat one or two every so often. I'm looking to get into the trade as a mature guy (41) and know it'll be a challenge(!) but can see that other people have done it the hard way so here goes!

Regards

David

Greetings all,

I've been looking at the forums for a while now and learnt a lot from them but decided to bite the bullet and join in proper. I've studied a lot of previous newbie questions but you'll have to forgive me if I repeat one or two every so often. I'm looking to get into the trade as a mature guy (41) and know it'll be a challenge(!) but can see that other people have done it the hard way so here goes!

Regards

David

I am more or less your age mate and believe if you put the ground work in you can achieve what you set out to do, enjoying it helps no end too.

Welcome Dave, what have you been up to electrically only can't access your profile, always interesting to know what experience newbies have, makes it easier to answer your questions.

Last edited:
Welcome to the asylum mate.

Welcome David !
Have you done anything electrical so far?

Thanks Wilko. I've got to say I'm coming to it completely fresh. I did a surveying degree and worked in property management, then studied law for quite a bit but came to feel that office life just wasn't for me. I've got practical hobbies but really haven't done anything more than basic DIY in terms of electrical work so far. I've done my research and talked to a few sparkies and feel it is right for me but it's working out the best way to get a foot in the door that's tough. I've had some interviews for apprenticeship roles with AWE, SSE etc but the age/background thing is just too big an obstacle. I've been told PAT testing could be a quicker entry into work but have been warned off the 5 day/1 month courses. I'm leaving my details with local wholesalers just to raise my profile a bit but I'm sure there are other things I could be doing....

Welcome Dave, what have you been up to electrically only can't access your profile, always interesting to know what experience newbies have, makes it easier to answer your questions.

Thanks Pete999. I have to say I am completely new to it in professional terms. I've got an amateur interest in engineering through hobbies and basic DIY but did a surveying degree originally, then studied law before finally realising I should be in the electric trade. I'm genuinely interested in the new tech involving electric cars and smart meters and although it's going to really test me being active and problem solving is something that really attracts me. But I can see my age/background is a bit unusual.......

Thanks Wilko. I've got to say I'm coming to it completely fresh. I did a surveying degree and worked in property management, then studied law for quite a bit but came to feel that office life just wasn't for me. I've got practical hobbies but really haven't done anything more than basic DIY in terms of electrical work so far. I've done my research and talked to a few sparkies and feel it is right for me but it's working out the best way to get a foot in the door that's tough. I've had some interviews for apprenticeship roles with AWE, SSE etc but the age/background thing is just too big an obstacle. I've been told PAT testing could be a quicker entry into work but have been warned off the 5 day/1 month courses. I'm leaving my details with local wholesalers just to raise my profile a bit but I'm sure there are other things I could be doing....
you thought about being a smart meter fitter? it pays well! and they are seemingly always advertising for new people to meet the daft government targets, plus they need to go back and change the first gen smart meters to the new ones!

you thought about being a smart meter fitter? it pays well! and they are seemingly always advertising for new people to meet the daft government targets, plus they need to go back and change the first gen smart meters to the new ones!

Hi Gavin, yes that's certainly something I'm looking at as there seem to be quite a few openings. Thanks

Not wishing to put the breaks on things, but you'll probably read similar threads on this subject, and read that its not such an easy thing to fulfil, your age (young as you are), training and its cost, finding suitable employment either as self employed or as an employee. Carrying this all out, whilst holding down another job to keep putting the bread on the table.

Wish you well in your asperations, but you have to be realistic.

Not wishing to put the breaks on things, but you'll probably read similar threads on this subject, and read that its not such an easy thing to fulfil, your age (young as you are), training and its cost, finding suitable employment either as self employed or as an employee. Carrying this all out, whilst holding down another job to keep putting the bread on the table.

Wish you well in your asperations, but you have to be realistic.

Hi Midwest, thank you for your good wishes. I take on board what you say and fully intend to make this work for me having made unwise career choices in the past.

Welcome David, my take on joining the trade late is that you need to be fully able to carry out the tasks such as using power tools and adapting and thinking on your feet, much of this job is just that.
I started training at 48 and because of my card left in the wholesalers and a chance spark needing help with a massive rewire gave me an 18 month extensive experience that I needed. Without that initial break I wouldn’t have the confidence I do now - you need to work with someone for 2 - 3 years and college at the same time. Trouble then is the drop in wages!
I love it though, it’s hard graft but every bit worth it.

I think the problem would be the 2 or 3 years of relatively low income as you get your experience and qualifications and/or establish your business.

I think the problem would be the 2 or 3 years of relatively low income as you get your experience and qualifications and/or establish your business.

Hi, yes it is something that's on my mind a lot but I have family support to some extent so I'm luckier than some...

Welcome David, my take on joining the trade late is that you need to be fully able to carry out the tasks such as using power tools and adapting and thinking on your feet, much of this job is just that.
I started training at 48 and because of my card left in the wholesalers and a chance spark needing help with a massive rewire gave me an 18 month extensive experience that I needed. Without that initial break I wouldn’t have the confidence I do now - you need to work with someone for 2 - 3 years and college at the same time. Trouble then is the drop in wages!
I love it though, it’s hard graft but every bit worth it.

Hi, thanks for that. It gives me inspiration!

might be of interest to some.

hays_1585699.gif

VIRGIN MEDIA
STOKE

Dear ---.

How are you? I hope you're well. I was hoping you could help me, I am currently recruiting for a Trainee Installation Technician to join Virgin Media's growing team in Stoke and I was wondering if you would be interested in this role or knew anyone else who would.

Please see details below:

• £22,500 Per annum
  • Contract: for 12 months (could go temp to perm)
  • Working hours: Monday – Saturday. You will get Sundays off and one other day in the week (40 hours).
  • Role: You will be going to new or existing customer homes to install TV, broadband and phone connections. We are looking for people that have great customer service skills, love working outdoors and interacting with people on a daily basis.
  • Benefits: You will receive a Van for work purposes, paid overtime, all your tools and branded clothing to use on shift
  • Requirement: The successful candidates will need to live in the following postcode:ST1, ST2, ST3, ST4, ST5 ST6, ST7, ST8, ST9, ST10, ST11, ST12, ST13, ST14 or ST15, hold a full UK Driving Licence, and be happy to undergo a background check.
  • Training: your training will last for 3 weeks. You will learn all parts of how to do installation and also how to overcome certain situations you will face when on the job.

Interview: Thursday 9th August 2018

Start date: ASAP

If you feel this role may be suited to yourself or someone you know, please feel free to pass my details on to them and please tell them to be quick due to interest all applications are being taken on a first come first serve basis.

My contact number is 0116 2615000, please email your updated CV directly to me on [email protected].

Kind regards,

Asha Mandalia
Recruiting experts in Talent Solutions
T: 0116 2615000
E: [email protected]

might be of interest to some.

hays_1585699.gif

VIRGIN MEDIA
STOKE

Dear ---.

How are you? I hope you're well. I was hoping you could help me, I am currently recruiting for a Trainee Installation Technician to join Virgin Media's growing team in Stoke and I was wondering if you would be interested in this role or knew anyone else who would.

Please see details below:

• £22,500 Per annum
  • Contract: for 12 months (could go temp to perm)
  • Working hours: Monday – Saturday. You will get Sundays off and one other day in the week (40 hours).
  • Role: You will be going to new or existing customer homes to install TV, broadband and phone connections. We are looking for people that have great customer service skills, love working outdoors and interacting with people on a daily basis.
  • Benefits: You will receive a Van for work purposes, paid overtime, all your tools and branded clothing to use on shift
  • Requirement: The successful candidates will need to live in the following postcode:ST1, ST2, ST3, ST4, ST5 ST6, ST7, ST8, ST9, ST10, ST11, ST12, ST13, ST14 or ST15, hold a full UK Driving Licence, and be happy to undergo a background check.
  • Training: your training will last for 3 weeks. You will learn all parts of how to do installation and also how to overcome certain situations you will face when on the job.

Interview: Thursday 9th August 2018

Start date: ASAP

If you feel this role may be suited to yourself or someone you know, please feel free to pass my details on to them and please tell them to be quick due to interest all applications are being taken on a first come first serve basis.

My contact number is 0116 2615000, please email your updated CV directly to me on [email protected].

Kind regards,

Asha Mandalia
Recruiting experts in Talent Solutions
T: 0116 2615000
E: [email protected]

Thanks for that Telectrix

Reply to Warning: Absolute Beginner Alert!! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock