Discuss weird problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bahco

now then...

went to a job today got there lady said to me some of my lights stop working then come back on a few hours later.

different room lights only one at once never 2, hmm so all the lights are standard pendants, looked at all the pendants wiring looked ok tightened a few up they were a bit loose.... went up in the loft it was a first floor flat by the way, all cables looked good no sign of damage.

did a ir test on the circuit >299 on all.

so after a few hours of checking i still found no problem, said to the lady it might be the loose connections in the pendants, give me a ring if it happens again.

so any idear what it could be?

i think ive covered eveything i can but any advice would be good :)

cheers

sorry forgot to add whenever one of the fittings stop working the mcb has never tripped, also the circuit has about 1.2 amps on.

thankin you

Last edited by a moderator:
Very strange one.........Micky Mouse Lamps from the Pound shop? :D

Sounds very much like loose connections, making and breaking contacts. As silly as it sounds if on pedants and the pendant gets a bit of a swing connections can become loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
now then...

went to a job today got there lady said to me some of my lights stop working then come back on a few hours later.

different room lights only one at once never 2, hmm so all the lights are standard pendants, looked at all the pendants wiring looked ok tightened a few up they were a bit loose.... went up in the loft it was a first floor flat by the way, all cables looked good no sign of damage.

did a ir test on the circuit >299 on all.

so after a few hours of checking i still found no problem, said to the lady it might be the loose connections in the pendants, give me a ring if it happens again.

so any idear what it could be?

i think ive covered eveything i can but any advice would be good :)

cheers

sorry forgot to add whenever one of the fittings stop working the mcb has never tripped, also the circuit has about 1.2 amps on.

thankin you

i have had a similar thing happen to me before and found that a fixing screw for the pendants had just pearced the cable but you were probably right with the loose connections:cool:

cheers for the replys lads

she hasnt rung me back as yet so that can only be a good thing, hopefully it will be a loose connections really dont know what to do if the faults still happen.

might take some new lamps round just incase your right warren :)

no problem all the best o and i have come across one cheap pendant that the terminal has been over tightened and the grub screw snapped causing a poor connection

good luck mate

Until reading the last line my money was on overload- I always check that there isn't an outside light on the circuit with a perished seal, damp in the attic or a nice shiny new fitting and it’s been there since they moved in 8 years ago but b&q currently have'em on special!

Reply to weird problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock