Discuss What am I classed as? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I've recently passed my 2330 course, I've got my logbook and AM2 (NVQ 3) next year, But thats it for college for the time being. Everyone in our group is wondering what we are? Are we considered electricians?
I've got signed in for my 17th and the 2391 but they are all september time. In the mean time do I have a qualification?

Thanks in advance
James

Only kidding, putting wages up for my guy, WELL DONE on passing!!!

Paying a good wage to my chaps!

Shame some companys now lay you off!!!!

Taking on a new apprentice

Once you have your tech cert, NVQ level 3, and anything else required to complete your apprenticeship framework, such as wider key skills, working with others, improving own learning and performance, employment rights and responsibilities, personalised learning and thinking skills, then you will be a qualified electrician, until then you are an apprentice electrician, and as CBW states, probably treat like pondlife, and it doesnt improve a great deal once you qualify, the first 20 years are the worst, get them out of the way and you will begin to get some respect, not a lot, just some.

Cheers........Howard

Hi everyone
I've recently passed my 2330 course, I've got my logbook and AM2 (NVQ 3) next year, But thats it for college for the time being. Everyone in our group is wondering what we are? Are we considered electricians?
I've got signed in for my 17th and the 2391 but they are all september time. In the mean time do I have a qualification?

Thanks in advance
James

Competency is defined as a combination of technical knowledge and experience (relevant practical skill).
A skilled person is someone with experience, and no classroom training.
An instructed person is someone with technical knowledge (classroom learning) but lacking in experience - this is most likely where you are.
Once you have completed the NVQ Level 3 you will be considered to have the relevant practical skill which will make you competent.

So for now you should consider yourself as an Electrician if you can prove the equivalent level of experience that the NVQ Level 3 equates to. Otherwise, consider yourself instructed person till you complete the NVQ.

An electrician, is a person who carries out electrical work for remuneration.
Doesn't matter what qualifications the person has if any.

Technically true, but it won't get you far trying to impress someone to get a start with a new firm.

The OP in my opinion would be classed as an improver, until such time that he completes the NVQ and AM2 then applies and gets his gold card. Then he will be recognised as a spark. I know you all say that the JIB is worthless, but in the new world of self-funded training routes into the industry and in the absence of indentured apprenticeships, it is there as an independent verifier of 'time served'.

you can have all the quals in the world but if no experience you are classed as a trainee, the quals and experience are the cocktail you need to have that title you are searching for.

IMO your classed as an apprentice if you have no experience

An electrician, is a person who carries out electrical work for remuneration.
Doesn't matter what qualifications the person has if any.

Sorry incorrect.

"Dosen't matter what qualifications the person may have if any"
This makes you a chancer or a cowboy.
Well done on your qualifications, keep learning and get some experience and have a great future.

Same position as you!

Passed my 2330 with only distinctions the whole way through the 3 years and I'm being told I need to wait another year before I can hand in my nvq (which I've already completed with 3 large reports). I would rather be judged by my ability rather then by time guidelines.

And you can have letters after your name.....

Youngbart 2330(LV3)

That's good enough for me !

The OP in my opinion would be classed as an improver said:
Thats always been my understanding of it, And i've always been lead to believe that without a JIB card you wont be paid an electricians rate.
It's one of those things I keep meaning to ask my boss about, but never get round to it.

Reply to What am I classed as? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net