Discuss what are some tools that were worth the price tag? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Screenshot_20211125-204218_Via.jpg
This was my go-to meter for troubleshooting , an eagle Megger, just died recently

Lol cost about 75 I see Farnell have a rebadged version for nearly 5 times the price

fhis is my go to tester for fault finding. had it for 30 odd years. stilll as good as new.

Vintage-Megger-BM7-500V-Insulation-Tester.jpg

Gedore VDE Slim screwdrivers. They are AMAZING quality. Outstanding in every department. Facom's were my go to as high end drivers but these are another level of elite tool. They make all the go to brands like Wiha and Wera look cheap as anything.

Tried a Boddingtons VDE driver and it's rubbish.
Ive seen Gedore super cheap in many countries >Wish I'd bought some !! Then again ...30 years Ago .Facom was sold in most French supermarkets cheap

Ive seen Gedore super cheap in many countries >Wish I'd bought some !! Then again ...30 years Ago .Facom was sold in most French supermarkets cheap
Facom's now are suspect, seen loads of reviews of them saying the tips are very weak and snap often. The ones from a few years back were awesome though.

The Gedore....i can't even describe how good they are. They have chunky sort of square-ish barrel handles and they are so sturdy. I won't use any others now.

Belters. Didn't think they would come in that useful but already used a couple in the first few weeks i've had them.

Add a set of nut drivers for your impact, but make sure they aren't magnetic.

Seems a while since I added anything here...the nut drivers are great, and as are the step-up. step-down adapters form 1/4 to 3/8 to 1/2"...actually many great adapters out there.
May have mentioned this before, but as I have used it a lot this week, I'll nominate the Dremel 2000 versatip gas powered soldering iron/cutter/heater whatsit.
Taking the catalytic convertor off, and adding the hot-air tip, with guard, allows you to use heat-shrink in small spaces without a flame, and as a bonus, ignoring the wide flame-spreader. it makes a great job of scorching a créme brullé...
Yes, I need to get out more!
Seriously though, I've used this on one refill of gas, all week, and it's just amazing for heat-shrinking to cover joints and to identify cables on SWA etc.
My fun project was to see if a cordless Dremel multi-tool was a good and easy way to prep SWA...it is! Needs a bit of practice, but actually, using some off-cuts, it went really well.
However, I still prefer the junior hacksaw approach. Those with good hand-skills will be able to dremel the sheath and armour, strip the sheath...maybe a good idea for some? Just remember to choose the right accessory/cutting wheel, otherwise it's like doing terminations in a CU with an impact driver...
Just a quick word on H&S/PPE...I was driving some long screws this week, 150mm pozi 3 screws, with my impact driver. They were easy, but...driver bits can break, or shatter even...dug a shard out of my left lower eye-lid...3 mm up and it would have been in my eye...wear goggles!
I'm embarrassed, because i did the same thing a year ago, and I should have learned my lesson. However, we think the bigger bits won't break...but they do.
Always wear safety specs!
and always wear safety specs!
Whatever you are doing, wear them if there is ANY chance of injury, however remote.

Reply to what are some tools that were worth the price tag? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net