Discuss what multi meter? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

solo2771

Hi I am still new here,
I am old (42) doing level 2 c&g 2330 and I have a question about multi meters.
I am strting to try to get a few usefull tools together and would like advice on multimeters.
I am informed it must comply with GS38 and have a valid callibration cert.
1. Can all multimeters get callibration certs?
2. Other than max 4mm protrution what else must apply (and is it always made apparent that a meter is to GS38 in the spec?)
Paul

ps. must be cheap!!!!

Hi I am still new here,
I am strting to try to get a few usefull tools together and would like advice on multimeters.
2. Other than max 4mm protrution what else must apply (and is it always made apparent that a meter is to GS38 in the spec?)
Paul

ps. must be cheap!!!!

Must be cheap :eek:

Then it will be a waste of time calibrating it as normally costs about £50 to get calibrated so if you have only paid peanuts for it it will cost more it will not be worth it to calibrate.

Thanks Ian but I have not bought a multi meter yet and am asking advice on buying one
Paul

Hey solo
I'm 60 !!
When you buy a new instrument you gate a certificate of calibration with it.

Chose some static environment (office or home) and test and record all results. Use this as a benchmark and check against this every three months or if you suspect some results. I also got some high quaility resistors to check the continuity every week or so.

Ive got a Kewtec 62 all in one meter and use AMECal Calibration Services Laboratory - AMECAL Newcastle UK to carry out calibration. Four days away and five pages of results! £80 including courier back and VAT.

Hi I am still new here,
Paul

ps. must be cheap!!!!

All new multifunction testers come with cal certs

Gs38 requirements (for test leads) are

Fused
Finger guards
4mm max at end of probes (preferably 2mm)

Look in the 'blurb' for each meter and they will genreally tel you that they are GS38 compliant, but dont get too hung up on it - My Megger's are not GS38 compliant, because the fuse is internal in the meter, lead in the leads

However Megger quote a higher level document that it complies with

Personally, i wouldnt buy a cheap meter, i have seen crap ones that aint even got straps to go around your neck

you get what you pay for,

but of course, you pays your money, you takes your choice;)

Like the Unitest meters I got given by work. Absolute rubbish as you are expected to hold the leads in position and then develop a third hand to press the test button after lifting the meter up. What a basic thing it is to have a bloody neck strap!

Shakey

He was asking about a muli-meter not a multi-function tester bit of a difference:eek:

Ian, bet he wasnt

he may have said multi-meter, but i have no doubt he meant multi-fuction tester, or else why would he be mentioning GS38

Me and you may know the difference my friend, but many people do not;)

Go on explane the diff lol

multimeters are measuring devices (volts resistance etc)

multifunctions test the circuit as well , such as PFC/ZE/Zs where they apply resistors to the circuit and measure the effect on current draw

if you are inspecting and testing and installation, its a multifunction tester;)

Basically I am after a meter that does as much as possible for as little money as possible at present, Loop impeadence would be good but I fear too expensive at present main properties are a multimeter but ideally Multi function meter. We use the Megga multi function meters at college but these I am aware are way too much outlay for the time being.
Paul

Basically I am after a meter that does as much as possible for as little money as possible at present, Loop impeadence would be good but I fear too expensive at present main properties are a multimeter but ideally Multi function meter. We use the Megga multi function meters at college but these I am aware are way too much outlay for the time being.
Paul

Paul, you can pick up a multimeter for 8 quid in argos, but what you gonna do with it:confused:

Loop impedence would be good, yeah, especially if you have to measure Ze or Zs:rolleyes:

what you gonna do, make the values up?:p

point is to do the job properly, you have to insspect, test and certify, and you cant do that without the tools to do the job ;)

Paul, you can pick up a multimeter for 8 quid in argos, but what you gonna do with it:confused:

Loop impedence would be good, yeah, especially if you have to measure Ze or Zs:rolleyes:

what you gonna do, make the values up?:p

point is to do the job properly, you have to insspect, test and certify, and you cant do that without the tools to do the job ;)

So what is the best value meter for someone wanting to do all these tests? or meters? Please bear n mind funds are very limited at present.
Thanks Paul

hi,
i sugest you do the course first and save up ,by the time you actually get to test and certify anything you will be able to afford a decent meter ,and have the knowledge to select the best one for the work you intend to do ,i would stick with a well known brand,with a repair service,just in case you blow it up!

would second that....is a tad worrying that you don't know the difference between multimeter and multi-function tester, let alone the tests that are to be carried out.

So what is the best value meter for someone wanting to do all these tests? or meters? Please bear n mind funds are very limited at present.
Thanks Paul

Paul, unfortunately, however limited funds are, to buy a decent multi-function tester new, you are gonna be spending 450+

buy cheap or second hand - you pays your money you takes your choice, and get what you pay for

automatic RCD testing? under the 17th, if you end up testing a lot, you will swear each of the four times you have to walk back and fore the RCD to reset it when it trips - and two RCD's? or a board full of RCBO's? and the meter aint even got a strap anyway? and a switched probe for doing your IR tests?

seriously mate, stay in, stop eating, and give up the tabs for a month (if you smoke)

buy a cheap meter and it will become your most hated enemy

a good one will be your best mate

you pays your money, you takes your choice (and I REALLY mean that when it comes to meters!);)

Thanks for the advice Shakey , dunno if i can give up the tabs tho lol
Grae remember what it was like to learn the trade? need i say any more

Shakey

I already have to stay in , stop eating and drinking thanks to this bunch of B******* thats in power.

Joe Public cannot earn enough to live on yet they want to give them selves a F****** big pay rise because they find it hard to live on their money (twice the amount the average worker receives) but tell every one else they can only have 2% which is the rate of inflation according to them. :eek::eek:

Alice in Wonderland and the MAD Hatters tea party come to mind.

Well thats my rant over and done with sorry to have gone off the subject.:rolleyes:

Reply to what multi meter? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock