Search the forum,

Discuss Whats needed? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Daniel Morgan

Hi ok im really confused what qualifications do i need to obtain in order to become JIB certified or NICEIC certified to become a domestic electrician? as their is that many regulations you cant tell which is required as a must and which are to enhance you qualifications.

Im currently 24 and wanting to change careers from retail to an electrician. I have no on site experience only my own work.

Also iv'e narrowed it down to two methods of learning, apprenticeship and work on site with an electrician or learn my way through going to pay courses. Which is usually the best method?

Many Thanks

The best method would be a combination of a college course tied into an apprenticeship, these last about 3yrs and give you the education and skills to work in various areas of the Industry.

There are alot of faster track courses but you need to be aware they may limit your customer base to 'domestic installer' and if you scan through various threads on this you may find this side of the market is getting saturated and this is both limiting available work and driving wages down.

I'm not saying which way to go but do your research first and see if there is plenty of domestic work available in your area if you choose to go for that route of domestic installer, asking local Electricians 'hows business' this may give an indication.

We have members on here who have found they have paid for the short courses and they struggle to get employment from companies or if they are setting up n their own they find a lack of work, again this isn't always the case and we have members who are successful down that route but when you make such a career changing decision then its best to know the local market you intend to work in.

Last edited:
The best method would be a combination of a college course tied into an apprenticeship, these last about 3yrs and give you the education and skills to work in various areas of the Industry.

There are alot of faster track courses but you need to be aware they may limit your customer base to 'domestic installer' and if you scan through various threads on this you may find this side of the market is getting saturated and this is both limiting available work and driving wages down.

I'm not saying which way to go but do your research first and see if there is plenty of domestic work available in your area if you choose to go for that route of domestic installer, asking local Electricians hows business may give an indication.

We have members on here who have found they have paid for the short courses and they struggle to get employment from companies or if they are setting up n their own they find a lack of work, again this isn't always the case and we have members who are successful down that route but when you make such a career changing decision then its best to know the local market you intend to work in.

Thats sound advise thank you very much, as for qualification and as for what most employers look for what would i have to obtain? As for getting on an apprenticeship Its been 8 years since my GCSE's and i dread to think i may have got a D in both English and science, as for maths i did get a D however went to college and obtained a city and gills qualification that gave me the equivalent of a C in maths. How strict are they on GCSE requirements? especially 8 years on? as if they do require C then i don't think i will be accepted into any apprenticeships meaning fast track course may be my only choice.

I did mine over 25yrs ago.. its changed so much I lost track personally but I'm sure we have plenty of members can advise on what you need or the best to go for.

thanks for your help, if anyone else reading this thread could guide me to which qualifications i need as a minimum and also an in sight into what options i have within the electrical industry. I was thinking domestic as a starting point but any advise is welcome. Im committed into this career change but need to know which path to take.

To register with the NICEIC as a domestic installer you would need a minimum of the current 17th Edition (C&G 2382) and C&G 2394 (or EAL equivalent 600/7859/5) and evidence that you are progressing your qualifications.
An NVQ3 in electrotechnical services would be a preferred addition.
There are slightly variant requirements for the different scheme providers Benchmark, BSI, BESCA, Blue Flame Certification, Certsure, NAPIT, OFTEC, Stroma check their websites for details.

To apply to the JIB for an ECS gold card (installation electrician) then you would need the NVQ3 in electrotechnical services and 17th Edition (C&G 2382) and take the Health and safety test.

If you have the NVQ3 then you can apply for most installation electrician jobs but they would normally expect you to have significant experience (the usual catch 22) or you may be able to get on a trainee position to progress your skills base.
If you have not completed the NVQ3 then your job options will be limited in scope, most electrical installation site work would expect the gold card.
Work as an electrical labourer or possibly an electricians mate may be possible if you have a CSCS card instead of the ECS card to get you onto site.
Work as a domestic electrician may be possible if you can find someone willing to take you on as a trainee (not easy).

Last edited:
Thats sound advise thank you very much, as for qualification and as for what most employers look for what would i have to obtain? As for getting on an apprenticeship Its been 8 years since my GCSE's and i dread to think i may have got a D in both English and science, as for maths i did get a D however went to college and obtained a city and gills qualification that gave me the equivalent of a C in maths. How strict are they on GCSE requirements? especially 8 years on? as if they do require C then i don't think i will be accepted into any apprenticeships meaning fast track course may be my only choice.

Colleges give you an English and Maths exam/test on enrollment. This is to find out if you need any extra help whilst on the course (which they will give if needed).

I left school with similar grades but yet found the English and Maths easy, dont worry about it too much. My exam results were the equivalent of A-grades and it had been years since I was at school. Whichever college/training provider you go with will tell you what they require and how to achieve it, they are there to help.

Colleges give you an English and Maths exam/test on enrollment. This is to find out if you need any extra help whilst on the course (which they will give if needed).

I left school with similar grades but yet found the English and Maths easy, dont worry about it too much. My exam results were the equivalent of A-grades and it had been years since I was at school. Whichever college/training provider you go with will tell you what they require and how to achieve it, they are there to help.

Thanks for this here is an update with where I am. Enquired apprenticeship to my local collage that pretty much said what you have said, an assessment is done to see were you are at and if your maths, English and science need a brush up the do it as part of the course as you need to be at minimum C in all three. However I would need to get employment by an electrician or a company before starting the course, an interview with a tutor is provided on enrolment to discuss what you best options are.

JTL said i can apply even though I’m in full time employment so that i can still enrol do any assessments needed but for the course to start i need to be employed by an electrician/company. However the issue here is i don’t know of JTL will provide maths, English or science touch up lessons if required or whether they won’t accept you at all. So atm my best option is my local college however i prefer the setup of JTL. What are your suggestions?

Many Thanks

Just have a word with JTL and stop panicking about it! Although I do not know that much about JTL, I'm sure this big UK company that trains thousands of students per year have a system to bring people up to their standards.

This goes out to everyone. If you are enrolling on a course, ask questions to the enrollment official. Once in college there will be a head of year/principle/admin/reception staff to answer all of your individual questions for your individual needs. Dont be afraid to ask!

Just have a word with JTL and stop panicking about it! Although I do not know that much about JTL, I'm sure this big UK company that trains thousands of students per year have a system to bring people up to their standards.

This goes out to everyone. If you are enrolling on a course, ask questions to the enrollment official. Once in college there will be a head of year/principle/admin/reception staff to answer all of your individual questions for your individual needs. Dont be afraid to ask!

Thanks for this here is an update with where I am. Enquired apprenticeship to my local collage that pretty much said what you have said, an assessment is done to see were you are at and if your maths, English and science need a brush up the do it as part of the course as you need to be at minimum C in all three. However I would need to get employment by an electrician or a company before starting the course, an interview with a tutor is provided on enrolment to discuss what you best options are.

JTL said i can apply even though I’m in full time employment so that i can still enrol do any assessments needed but for the course to start i need to be employed by an electrician/company. However the issue here is i don’t know of JTL will provide maths, English or science touch up lessons if required or whether they won’t accept you at all. So atm my best option is my local college however i prefer the setup of JTL. What are your suggestions?

Many Thanks
jtl have there own training centre in birmingham, if it is too far to travel you can train at a local college to you.

(i did my am2 etc at there centre because it has free resits)

Reply to Whats needed? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net