Discuss Where to bond? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Chops

Been to a domestic installation today and found that the water and gas are not bonded. The water appears straightforward, however the gas is not so.

The gas service currently enters the house under the floor. A heating engineer has previously teed off here and taken a supply back outside the house and up into the loft to a new boiler installation.

Where would you guys bond to? I'm not keen to bond under the floor - access issues for inspection etc, although this then means that I'm bonding after branched pipework. I could bond outside, near the ground, and run the bonding up the outside wall and across the loft towards the MET on the other side of the house. This may lead to mechanical damage or corrosion issues. Or I could simply bond in the loft where the gas pipe enters.

Any thoughts?

The meter cabinet is about 50 metres away at the front of the property (old farm). The gas supply pipe runs underground to the house and pops up at the base of an outside wall.

Hi Kung

That would be the loft. But is that the best way of satisfying the regs?

Agree with these chaps.

As long as its bonded within 600mm etc it doesn't matter where it is.

The certs now have a 'location if not obvious' box now, so just fill that in with the details.

Thanks guys

If I go within 600mm and before branched pipework, then its under the floorboards (and carpet / furniture) and then a note on the paperwork and at the CU detailing the location.

Chops

Chops,

If you can avoid putting it under the floor then i think that would be better, regardless of noting it on the cert.

Just MHO.:)

Well thats the contradiction. I cant satisfy all aspects of the regs here. I cant bond within 600mm of point of entry and before branched pipework and at an accessible point.

It has to be two out of the three. Which aspect do I not satisfy?

Chops

I think that as you are familiar with the installation and if under the floor is the only 'satisfying' option, then bond there, again, noting on the cert and as long as it is accessible for future inspections.

Hey.

Might be worth a call to your scheme provider as I know the NIC wouldn't accept a main bonding connection under the floor - maintenance and testing reasons.

Cheers

Well thats the contradiction. I cant satisfy all aspects of the regs here. I cant bond within 600mm of point of entry and before branched pipework and at an accessible point.

It has to be two out of the three. Which aspect do I not satisfy?

Chops
but the regs aren't statutory they are guidelines so if you can justify your choice and you have done what is reasonably practicable i don't really see a problem ( tin hat on) . So to my mind it's up to you and your decision is right.

location if not obvious?? does that mean anywhere on the pipework as long as it's labelled on the db? where is that in the regs just out of interest? :D

Been to a domestic installation today and found that the water and gas are not bonded. The water appears straightforward, however the gas is not so.

The gas service currently enters the house under the floor. A heating engineer has previously teed off here and taken a supply back outside the house and up into the loft to a new boiler installation.

Where would you guys bond to? I'm not keen to bond under the floor - access issues for inspection etc, although this then means that I'm bonding after branched pipework. I could bond outside, near the ground, and run the bonding up the outside wall and across the loft towards the MET on the other side of the house. This may lead to mechanical damage or corrosion issues. Or I could simply bond in the loft where the gas pipe enters.

Any thoughts?

hi there

i would suggest you find the gas meter and bond within 600mm before the first branch.

in the cabinet if poss then run to main met

you should not bond under the floor as it is a requirement under the gas regs for access and verification i think this is correct

anybody feel free to please correct me if i am wrong

if you cannot then it is at the first entry point to the building based this assumption from the advice given in the domestic corgi book

hi there

i would suggest you find the gas meter and bond within 600mm before the first branch.

in the cabinet if poss then run to main met

you should not bond under the floor as it is a requirement under the gas regs for access and verification i think this is correct

anybody feel free to please correct me if i am wrong

if you cannot then it is at the first entry point to the building based this assumption from the advice given in the domestic corgi book

chops has already said gas meter is 50metres in front of property and first bend is under flloor.

Thanks for everones input. I'll forget about under the floor. I will bond where the pipework re-emerges outside the property and then loop into another bond clamp in the loft for belt and braces in case of mechanical damage issues to the outside clamp in the future.

Chops

Reply to Where to bond? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock