Discuss Where's it all gone? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tomspark93

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
So, we rock up on site this afternoon which happens to be a private new build and as I go upstairs or up the ladders in this case I am greeted with an empty corner of what will be an upstairs bedroom. I shout down to my boss "did you take the cable home last night?" Anyway someone's been on site last night and stole our drums of cable. As I walk around upstairs I walk in to the master bedroom which is situated above the garage (the only room which doesn't have a floor down yet). The board will be right at the other end of the garage. Baring in mind all all mains voltage cabling has been first fixed I scan my eyes down the long joist runs and the b***ards have cut through every leg with what looked to be a blunt pair of scissors and ripped all the first legs out.

thankfully there were only a few half drums of cable being stored up there and we take all our tools back with us so not the end of the world. I can only describe how disheartened I felt this afternoon pulling out the rest of the damaged cables ready to start again.

feel for ya mate........left a 115mm hole saw on site right next to about 150No LED 5w GU10s. Some nob stole the hole saw & arbour but didnt touch the GU10s idiot..although couldnt do the job as hole saw was needed for metal cieling tiles, night work... wasted night...live & learn.

On a site being ran by one of the local bad lads years ago, he'd told us that no one would touch the site so we could leave our gear so we did. After about a week of leaving everything on the job we came in to find the place had been evacuated of anything that could be worth a couple of quid so after standing around and listening to him making phone calls we were sent home.
Late afternoon we all got texts from him telling us to come to site, all (and I mean ALL) of the missing kit had mysteriously re-appeared, the bloodstains we noticed on the floor were a new thing though.
No one who didn't have to be there ever went near that site again.

Well it's actually in one of the nicer parts of rotherham, however it is still in rotherham haha. Thankfully they've not ripped much else out as it's all tied to the wall in oval conduit. And much to my relief they've not touched any of the data cabling, that would have sent me in to a deep depression lol

Where I am it a bit of a culture thing, nobody will steal another guys tools. It's considered to be about the lowest thing you can do and if on the odd occasion it happens and someone gets caught it's doubtful he'll see the next sunrise. Unfortunately the taboo only applies to tools, when it comes to cable or any other installation items it's open season and business as usual, look away and they're gone.

Where I am it a bit of a culture thing, nobody will steal another guys tools. It's considered to be about the lowest thing you can do and if on the odd occasion it happens and someone gets caught it's doubtful he'll see the next sunrise. Unfortunately the taboo only applies to tools, when it comes to cable or any other installation items it's open season and business as usual, look away and they're gone.

Used to be the same around here...how things change :vanish: :sad3:

Well it's actually in one of the nicer parts of rotherham, however it is still in rotherham haha. Thankfully they've not ripped much else out as it's all tied to the wall in oval conduit. And much to my relief they've not touched any of the data cabling, that would have sent me in to a deep depression lol
Out of interest..why do you require data cables in a domestic property? What benefit can be gained? Thanks

worked on a site for 3 years never had a tool nicked , till some flooring guys came in and tools started disappearing some knob nicked my printer ,I started a rumor that it had a tracker fitted and mysteriously it returned

OK i understand from BT line in to HUB point, then from there to other bt phone points, but with mobiles nowadays possibly not required. From hub are ehternet cables now required to smart TVs.
It's called "future-proofing" - people like to get the latest cable everywhere they might need it just in case in years to come toasters all come with internet capability, then the customer won't have to have their floorboards lifted. This is of course if the manufacturers don't assume most people won't have cat6 or whatever it will be then installed in their kitchen and make it all wireless anyway.

Wireless is definately the future. Wherever you put ethernet outlets you always want one somewhere else! Daz

Out of interest..why do you require data cables in a domestic property? What benefit can be gained? Thanks

In this case as above and including other ELV cabling. So for instance in this property we are doing everything from mains to alarm, TV points, satellite cabling, CCTV, telephone points, ceiling speakers in dining/living room and interestingly in this house a "central hub" where the sky box, blu ray DVD player and any other source will be accessible in high definition via cat 6 by every t.v in the house. This is what the client wants and it is also worth future proofing like mentioned above.

It's amazing how the cable can add up but with this sort of install you are better off having too much than too little, as cables can easily get damaged and the clients may change their mind on how they want to use the system once installed. It's worth covering yourself in big property's with potential data points just in case a wireless system might not work properly. At least then you can easily install further access point if required. Steel beams and foil backed insulation can increase signal drop in new builds especially.

I've never really understood statements like this....it's as if thieves don't have access to any form of transport. Just saying.

fair point! that comment was made as more of a joke rather than implying the people that lived there are thieving buggers though.

One of my customers has just installed 200m of 4 core 25mm SWA. Digger driver broke his collar bone so could not cover last 50m. It has of course been cut off and taken. More work for me to connect it all up again. At least they did not try to pull the stuff underground up. Its in the middle of a muddy field so not sure how they managed to carry even 50m of the stuff. I just hope it is not raining next week when I am there.

Last year a guy got a belt while trying to steal cable from the Metro system (It's like Tyneside's very own railway network). when interviewed he told the boys in blue that he thought they turned it off at night after the last train ran.
Muppet

Reply to Where's it all gone? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock