Discuss Where's it all gone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Last year a guy got a belt while trying to steal cable from the Metro system (It's like Tyneside's very own railway network). when interviewed he told the boys in blue that he thought they turned it off at night after the last train ran.
Muppet
Haha brilliant! I did suggest energising once we've redone the work just as an extra deterrent:hammer:

Last year a guy got a belt while trying to steal cable from the Metro system (It's like Tyneside's very own railway network). when interviewed he told the boys in blue that he thought they turned it off at night after the last train ran.
Muppet

TC would have known it was on a pir :smile5:

In this case as above and including other ELV cabling. So for instance in this property we are doing everything from mains to alarm, TV points, satellite cabling, CCTV, telephone points, ceiling speakers in dining/living room and interestingly in this house a "central hub" where the sky box, blu ray DVD player and any other source will be accessible in high definition via cat 6 by every t.v in the house. This is what the client wants and it is also worth future proofing like mentioned above.

It's amazing how the cable can add up but with this sort of install you are better off having too much than too little, as cables can easily get damaged and the clients may change their mind on how they want to use the system once installed. It's worth covering yourself in big property's with potential data points just in case a wireless system might not work properly. At least then you can easily install further access point if required. Steel beams and foil backed insulation can increase signal drop in new builds especially.
Thanks for above.....I'm about to start a brand new install for a family member as I've said on here before seeking advice etc. i know nothing about these date points etc, but it seems the way to go and like you said provide at least some points in and around the house. Any pointers where to look, how to house it all neatly. There is a central cupboard area which is going to house the under floor heating valves. i was going to install the burglar alarm,cctv equipment in there. Any info advice would be appreciated Thanks

The CEDIA website would be good place to start, there are some useful links and information on there. Just plan the install out, ask your relative how they want it to work and in some cases interlink with each other and then write it down on a piece of paper. You can then cable it out accordingly. Without trying to teach you to suck eggs just be careful with the first fix, cable is damaged so easily by pulling it too hard, it easily gets trapped and kinks.

It would also be worth mentioning that depending on how big this central location is it might be worth moving things in to separate places you can so easily clutter an area with all the cables. I would put the TV amp in the loft out of the way and then just place things close together that interlink with one another as this can potentially reduce the number of long cable runs. For example if the Alarm panel and CCTV DVR were next to one another it'd be worth providing and internet access point, Telephone point and Coax point. You can then hook the CCTV up to the TV's and allow viewing on mobile devices/computers and you could potentially install speech dialler in to the alarm system. It all depends on what the client wants really.

It may be worth making provisions for possibly installing the satellite cables if they plan on having sky. There's nothing worse than a sky man attached to a ladder looking like hes about to brave mount Everest as he throws shotgun cable inside the gutter and then clips it down the wall!:rofl:

Last edited:
Early hours I got a phone call from one of our remote plants “the supplies gone off.” It was fed by a 3.3KV OH line. Called in at the sub that supplied it and sure enough the OBC had tripped on O/C.
OK off we go to the remote sub, everything fine there. So left my mate there and went back to the first sub to reclose the OCB. The OCB was of the DMO (Dependant Manual Operation) type and I didn’t trust them. So I dithered about building up the courage to grab the handle and slam the breaker closed.
Called my mate on the radio to tell him the breaker had held. “There’s nothing here!”
Pity I hadn’t closed it first off, I could have zapped the thieving b******s. ½ a mile of the OH line had gone missing. They left us the chain they’d thrown over the line first.

Again an early hours episode. We had on site security, don’t know why. They watched a flat bed come on to the works un-laden, it left with 4 cable drums. 500m of 11KV 95mm PILC SWA and 200m 195mm 3½c SWA.

Sad to say, cable theft is here to stay.

Reply to Where's it all gone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net