Discuss Which Earthing type is this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

t01474

-
Reaction score
What kind of earthing system do you think this is? Strikes me as TNS (Paper lead incommer) but the earth coming out of the head makes it look like TNCS??? But then again the earth is on the lead sheath too???
I was only there to have a look today so didn’t do a Ze. Strikes me as an odd way to go about things to say the least0B3AC0EA-B2EB-40E2-AC8A-88CB14E9B960.jpeg(

If the earth comes out of the head it is 99% certainly TN-C-S. It is common to link the sheath in to the CNE although the connection method here looks rough. Presumably there is a constant force spring under the tape but just boshing the cable through diagonally isn't my idea of a proper job.

Unless you have a private transformer, it is extremely likely that your TNS will have become TNCS during routine DNO works as they'll joint CNE cable onto existing SNE and this make it a TNCS (PME is thry put a rod down but otherwise its a bodge)

This is true, however in this case whatever configuration exists further up the service cable is immaterial as the main earthing conductor goes into the neutral side of the head.

Hi. Could you please help me identify a earthing system. the sticker near main fuse saying PME system. But only earth connected to CU is from rod outside house and that confusing me. thanks

Attachments

• Resize_20230308_204224_4373.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Resize_20230308_204223_3838.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 45
Hi. Could you please help me identify a earthing system. the sticker near main fuse saying PME system. But only earth connected to CU is from rod outside house and that confusing me. thanks

This usually means that a PME connection is available at the head.

It sounds like the installation has been installed as TT and has not been connected to the PME terminal for some reason.

Most likely reason is that the cutout has been changed and a PME terminalade available but nobody has yet connected to it.

This usually means that a PME connection is available at the head.

It sounds like the installation has been installed as TT and has not been connected to the PME terminal for some reason.

Most likely reason is that the cutout has been changed and a PME terminalade available but nobody has yet connected to it.
Hi and thanks for answer. I added some img. Could you look at them please.

Frankenstein. TNS originally, converted to PME by meter maids/local contractor on DNO job with additional TT for end-of-line or to cover lose of neutral/earth in the old cable.....would be my guess.

Test it, test the rod, take the highest and record it as whichever is higher (likely TT)

Frankenstein. TNS originally, converted to PME by meter maids/local contractor on DNO job with additional TT for end-of-line or to cover lose of neutral/earth in the old cable.....would be my guess.

Test it, test the rod, take the highest and record it as whichever is higher (likely TT)
What evidence is there that was originally TN-S.

Nonsense, there is nothing there to suggest a TNS connection.

There is an obvious PME supply and the installation Is connected TT. This is almost certainly a case, as often happens, where local distribution has been upgraded to PME but tbe installations remain TT until an electrician actually works on it.

I think there might be confusion as @tom1414 tacked his question about a TN-C-S supply feeding TT installation onto an existing thread from 9 months ago about a different intake that probably was TN-S to begin with.

Reply to Which Earthing type is this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net