Discuss which way forward? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bahco

hi guys

im in my 2nd year of my c&g 2330 level 2 which i finish in june, i start my 17th edition in april and ive just started doing my nvq level 3 so dunno how long that will take to complete.

anyway my plan was to complete all of the above then do my 2391 exam, but im a bit confused as to which way to go, according to the jib website to get your gold card you need a nvq3, 230 level 3 or equivilent and 17th edition, now ive been talking to my college tutor about the 2330 level 3 and from my point it just looks like i will learn more of the theory side which i hardly ever use on site & some inspection & testing & fault finding, which i plan to do the full 2391 asap anyway.

now i belive if you do your pat testing course that is a level 3 qualification which along with the nvq3 2330 and 17th edition is enough to get the gold card, so then the tutor said if you dont do your 2330 level 3 even if you get a gold card you are still not a electrician.

now is he trying to dry bum me out of another £600 or is he right?

sorry to rant on but im just confused

cheers lads:)

JIB do not recognise 2330 level 3 people as a 'qualfied' sparks but an electrical improver. They require you to get level 4 in order to satisfy THEIR criteria. All a load of b******s if you ask me

a level 4?

i didnt even no they did a level 4, it just gets worse lol

thanks mate

I think if the JIB was to actually visit some of there members sites where installations were taking place then they would see some of the 'unbelievable' mistakes being made by 'apparent' sparks who are contracting for these JIB companies and see just what a load of 'b******s' there member criteria really is:confused: ....rant over:D
Btw...above experienced first hand:eek:

You pay peanuts ...........!!

Yes, it is all a scam designed to get cash out of you. I simply do not work for JIB companies now as how dare they decide if I am 'qualified' enough to earn their basic pay rate (which is ****e)

hi guys

im in my 2nd year of my c&g 2330 level 2 which i finish in june, i start my 17th edition in april and ive just started doing my nvq level 3 so dunno how long that will take to complete.

anyway my plan was to complete all of the above then do my 2391 exam, but im a bit confused as to which way to go, according to the jib website to get your gold card you need a nvq3, 230 level 3 or equivilent and 17th edition, now ive been talking to my college tutor about the 2330 level 3 and from my point it just looks like i will learn more of the theory side which i hardly ever use on site & some inspection & testing & fault finding, which i plan to do the full 2391 asap anyway.

now i belive if you do your pat testing course that is a level 3 qualification which along with the nvq3 2330 and 17th edition is enough to get the gold card, so then the tutor said if you dont do your 2330 level 3 even if you get a gold card you are still not a electrician.

now is he trying to dry bum me out of another £600 or is he right?

sorry to rant on but im just confused

cheers lads:)

Be interesting to talk to your tutor about his definition of 'electrician'. I dont have 2330 level 3, although i DO have many electrical quals, a number of which are much higher than level 3 - and I am not an electrican????? guess i better give back all the pound notes i have earned since the early eighties then!!

and i agree with the comments about the JIB: I have absolutely no interest in them and by the sound of it they would have no interest in me - I'm heartbroken!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cirrus, but that's the point - they cant 'decide' what (or who) is or isnt an 'electrician'.

I believe there are some 43 categories of trades and subtrades that are recognised as 'electricians'. I was an electrician for probably 10-15 years before i started doing anything to do with BS7671 or domestic installation work. I have worked as an autoelectrician, electrical plant engineer, mobile and static generators, machine and motor control systems, PLC's, robotics, electronics, etc etc etc

And at ALL times i have been an electrician

Stuff the JIB. and to the chap who did the original post - dont be pushed into doing unneccesary quals to satisfy someone elses ideas of what it will make you!

Mt sentiments exactly Shakey. To all the peeps doing 2330 - it's not worth your £600 extra to do your level 4 unless your employer or the JITB is paying. You are qualified after 3 years of graft so take no notice of the JIB!

thanks for all the reply's lads, if i wanted to be classed as a electrician then what courses would i need?

il have my 2330 level 2 in june 17th edition in june then hopefully 2391 by the end of the year.

to be honest there are so many coures so many different roads to go down why cant they make it clear to people like myself would be so much easier.

but at the end of the day if i get all of the above courses they dont meen jack till you have a good few years under your belt.

i think im more confused now then i was before lol

cheers anyway though

spoke to the jib today they said you can get your gold card with the c&g 2330 level 2 17th edition and nvq level 3 so no need to do the 2330 level 3 :) happy days

cheers

what courses have you done cirrus if you dont mind me asking? do you work for a company or for yourself

I have done 2330 level 2 and 3 and will be doing my 2391 this summer. I will then look to go out on my own. I work for a contractor at the moment and it is good and pays well but I used to be in business for myself in a former life so that's what I will be doing again

Reply to which way forward? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock