Discuss Who should pay for my time? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was recently called back to a new house I had just completed by the customer regarding an intermittent fault.

It took a while to diagnose that a small water leak from the boiler flow pipe was gathering in the Honeywell valve and knocking out the RCBO when calling for Hot Water.

Having invoiced the client for the hours worked they have passed my invoice onto the plumber whose leak caused the fault. He is refusing to pay.

Am I right in thinking that if the client requested my services then they are liable to pay.

I’m guessing the plumber should reimburse them.

Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks in advance

John P

As said above, if you order a service and it is delivered, you should pay for it.

What you installed originally is not faulty due to workmanship or manufacturing fault.
Therefore it is a chargeable call out.

Would they also expect you to bill the post office if they reversed the van into a garden light?

Simple. They asked you to diagnose fault and repair.
You found fault was non electrical and showed the the root cause.
Definatley they are liable to pay the bill.

P.s. Just noticed you are a new member.
Welcome to the forum, hope you have some fun here.

just to add with this post ,if a customer ring me up then we say over the phone when I start working on the job regarding faults that I want paying when it is finished . if they agree over the phone then I will go out .if the plumber caused the fault thats third party .

Last edited:
You don’t go to Tesco, fill your trolley with frozen goods and ask them to bill curry’s because your 1 week old freezer from them broke down.

Welcome to the forum

I deal with ----s like this by:
Sending invoice
Sending 7 day notice (with expiry date stating when I will commence court action), along with a simple letter which goes along the lines of I expect payment for the service carried out otherwise the next action is court and there will be additional costs.

Filling out Simple Procedure form (Scottish Court) and sending it to them

Last guy I had (this year for £43) paid at 10.50pm on the day of expiry of the 7 day notice.

Reply to Who should pay for my time? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net