Discuss wholesalers mcb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Im looking to put a supply out in a mancave, the earthing arrangement is tns. At the supply there is iscos installed so I was going to take a supply out of the iscos into a 40 amp DP MCB and run a 6mm T+E surface piped along an outside wall. I will be installing a 40A 30mA RCD in the mancave. My query is the wholesalers dont stock 40 amp double pole MCB's, I cant find anything wrong with what im planning in the regs.
The fact the wholesaler doesnt stock them has sorta through me a bit. Do I need to protect the supply cable with an RCD in the house aswell.
Thanks in advance.

T/E is not advisable outdoors. best use SWA. could start with T/e indoors and then switch to SWA in adaplable box. making sure that the armour is earthed, even if not used as cpc. RCD at supply end only needed if the first section of T/E is buried < 50mm deep in wall/s. you could start with a 40A S/P MCB into a D/P switch

T/E is not advisable outdoors. best use SWA. could start with T/e indoors and then switch to SWA in adaplable box. making sure that the armour is earthed, even if not used as cpc. RCD at supply end only needed if the first section of T/E is buried < 50mm deep in wall/s. you could start with a 40A S/P MCB into a D/P switch
point noted about the cable type. I will have to install a 3 module cu with a 80a DP MCB and a 40a SP MCB.

no. 40A single pole MCB, then into a 40A d/p switch. this give D/Pisolation for the exterior lghts.

A better solution is a 45A metal switch/fuse in the house, SWA all the way to the shed, and then a small CU with RCD protection for the shed circuits.
Thats the way i want to do it but im struggling to get a 40/45a mcb/fuse switch for an OCPD. The local wholesale only has 40a RCD's.

It's not ideal to use a MCB at the house end of the cable. It may switch off at the same time as a lower rated MCB in the shed when a fault occurs. A switch/fuse, such as the one in my link, gives better discrimination, and will take a SWA gland direct.
too expensive and space my be an issue. I prefer this with a 45A fuse.:

wholesalers mcb 1620159928358 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to wholesalers mcb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock