• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Wholesalers.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
...off the back of the latest CJR video thread it now has me wondering; What/Who class as wholesalers?

I was of the impression that the likes of Screwfix/Toolstation were trade wholesalers? With the likes of B&Q, Wickes etc being "Big Shed" retailers and at the bottom of the pile you have the High Street/Supermarkets; Wilko, ASDA, Tesco etc

Stupid idea coming up; To go alongside the Spark Directory; A wholesaler/retail directory with your well-known sources and any hidden local gems at what you would deem good/reasonable prices

Wholesalers SELL wholesale. So you can buy pallets worth off them. IMO.

It's easier to get your head around in the tile industry because of weight of tiles. Nobody used to ship them unless they're wholesalers. They'd come on a truck, and use a fork lift to deliver them.

A lot of genuine importers these days, also have a brand name that they then supply direct to the public with too though.

So that they can still get their best prices on Bosch drills direct from Bosch, they will need to setup a seperate company and sell those drills to themselves (from their wholesaler to their 'Direct' supplier) to then be able to sell them to the GP.

General public traditionally wouldn't be able to buy wholesale. But they can now via this kind of business model.

Screwfix just ripped up the norms though. They buy more than BnQ (the largest importer of tools in the UK) and sell direct to homeowner - leaving the distributor and retail and tradesman out of pocket.

Hence their prices.

I mainly use the Rexel group. Most of their Newlec branded gear is re-badged branded kit.

Yesterday I changed a down flow heater, dimplex one, with one from Rexel. I was dumbfounded to find it lined up perfectly with the old mounting screws, cable entry and everything.

Mentioned it on the counter today to be told the Rexel one is made by dimplex.

Kingfisher (owner of the B&Q and Screwfix brands) utilise their combined group buying power to maximise buying margin and overrider discounts. Whilst Screwfix isn't a wholesaler in the traditional sense, this matters not since the group invest margin in this channel to give 'real' wholesalers a run for their money. Their logistics are very slick too.

Screwfix are a retailer, even though they are a cheap one. The difference between them and a traditional wholesaler is service. You'll get a bespoke service from a wholesaler but an off the shelf experience from Screwfix.

I'm a small local business and I support other local business in the same way I hope my customers to support me. I choose service over price in that respect.

With a wholesaler they'll be able to special order you items from a manufacturer. Or sometimes bespoke items.

With a retailer if its not on their shelf/in their catalogue you probably can't buy it from them.

Screwfix are a retailer, even though they are a cheap one. The difference between them and a traditional wholesaler is service. You'll get a bespoke service from a wholesaler but an off the shelf experience from Screwfix.

I'm a small local business and I support other local business in the same way I hope my customers to support me. I choose service over price in that respect.

Electric Center Hull always a great service there, NEW UK Hull for controls and mechanical specific work. Both recommended!

I went into a wholesalers in London , Hounslow to be precisely , it had 2 entrance doors. 1 said trade and 1 said retail.
I went into the retail door for fun and said what is the difference between this counter and the wholesale one.
The young lad said absolutely nothing...
Sums it up really

You can get credit with a wholesaler...
Not so much with Big Shed or supermarket electrical goods.

Homebase still have major discounts on MK accessories if anyone’s interested. Not much left in my local branch though.

You can get credit with a wholesaler...
Not so much with Big Shed or supermarket electrical goods.

Homebase still have major discounts on MK accessories if anyone’s interested. Not much left in my local branch though.
Agree, i got mk mcbs 1.50 ea and rcds for under £13 this week to populate an empty board.

I have found denmans to be cheapest of late. They asked me for some prices of my regular items and knocked upwards of 20% off the rivals.

Agree, i got mk mcbs 1.50 ea and rcds for under £13 this week to populate an empty board.

I have found denmans to be cheapest of late. They asked me for some prices of my regular items and knocked upwards of 20% off the rivals.
Denmans are now part of the Rexel group so makes you wonder who they are competing against.

TLC are so cheap nowadays, they're often a good benchmark to check your regular wholesaler/s against. Obviously it's not always about the cheapest price and important to remember the added value help and favours your regular wholesaler gives, which you'll never get from a shed.

TLC are so cheap nowadays, they're often a good benchmark to check your regular wholesaler/s against. Obviously it's not always about the cheapest price and important to remember the added value help and favours your regular wholesaler gives, which you'll never get from a shed.
Agree with this, dispite corporate bigwigs wanting everything to go online, i can call my Wholesaler up and utter some complete gibberish which they translate into the components i require and get the whole lot delivered to site.

Good to just drop in a coffee and natter, don't get that at screwfix.

Despite being part of the same Rexel Group I have seen the main Rexel store under cutting Denmans by say £2 on a light fitting to get the sale and as the Denmans manager said himself its stupid and a race to the bottom as they are the same company. much better to be well priced across the board than do stupid pricing on a hit and miss basis.

In Bath we have KEW 2 doors down from CEF
200m along the Road we have Denmans.
200m other direction is Edmundsons and Toolstation. On my doorstep is Screwfix, Rexel and over the road Homebase.
There are a lot of sparks in Bath for its size andI have found Kew to be a bit pricey of late, they are great at getting random bits for me though so havent severed the links.
There is a lot of marketing and promotions going on and under cutting of prices.

Not a lot of people know but if you take a materials list into screwifx on the trade counter and it will they will give you a quote and will in my experience match if not beat wholesalers and if they cant will give you discount off other stuff you might want like tools.

Reply to Wholesalers.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back