Discuss why did I bother in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

oldtimer

So why did I bother getting tooled up for PAT testing I used to get phone calls saying do you do PAT and I would say sorry economically I cannot afford it and when asked what I would charge for 10 items they would say O thats reasonable and I thought well run this as a loss leader ie get the job to fix the shower switch and get PAT thrown in as well because I lost a couple of jobs because I could not provide this service.

So fast forward got the gear got the stickers even throw in a free microwave test as well and quoting the same cost (minimum) as I did last year I get I will get back to you even although I say you get a copy of my qualifications and calibration certificate etc

Is it just the current economical climate or have things changed ? or do you just need to have this service anyway

So why did I bother getting tooled up for PAT testing I used to get phone calls saying do you do PAT and I would say sorry economically I cannot afford it and when asked what I would charge for 10 items they would say O thats reasonable and I thought well run this as a loss leader ie get the job to fix the shower switch and get PAT thrown in as well because I lost a couple of jobs because I could not provide this service.

So fast forward got the gear got the stickers even throw in a free microwave test as well and quoting the same cost (minimum) as I did last year I get I will get back to you even although I say you get a copy of my qualifications and calibration certificate etc

Is it just the current economical climate or have things changed ? or do you just need to have this service anyway

Should have thrown in a free microwave not just the test! Lol

I have lost jobs because of not doing PAT testing so I now do small volume <30 items PAT testing using my MFT and manual paperwork. Couldn't justify the £1000 cost of getting fully tooled up (that's my years income!)

I have lost jobs because of not doing PAT testing so I now do small volume <30 items PAT testing using my MFT and manual paperwork. Couldn't justify the £1000 cost of getting fully tooled up (that's my years income!)

Hi Richard

Similar boat myself.

WHat equipment did you tool up with ? I have an MFT (1552) - but no PAT test gear.

I have a budget of 2/3rds of 3/8ths of a thruppence hapeney.

I bought the following:-
£470 for the kewtech FT71 bundle that included labels ,carry case,leads,plug tester ,screw drivers Well worth it
£57 for personilised labels + microwave labels.
£30 microwave tester
£190 for a 6 weeks C&G course (cross the Ts on this)
I bought a kewtech PAT pad but i have personiled the Word docs downloaded and converted to PDF and so far I have made £200 but would be happy just for it to pay my outlay in the next year

I just use my MFT and the Kewtech L&N link box, do not do high current test, use a multimeter if I need to measure low current (not used really).
You only need to do IR and continuity, the inspection is key.
Prepared my own paperwork forms etc. and print my own labels (I have loads of assorted labels).
Total outlay about £50.

I just use my MFT and the Kewtech L&N link box, do not do high current test, use a multimeter if I need to measure low current (not used really).
You only need to do IR and continuity, the inspection is key.
Prepared my own paperwork forms etc. and print my own labels (I have loads of assorted labels).
Total outlay about £50.

Yep good shout but I thought get tooled up properly and the way enquries were going i thought I will get this paid off within 6 months but no joy but thats the punt you make and ok i will get hit with a calibration in July but the funny thing is all the PAT testing I have done is for people who just want a PAT test and not from the people who wanted say a socket or light repaired and PAT testing at the same time because that why I bought it because they said sorry if you cannot do both I will get someone who can

Yep good shout but I thought get tooled up properly and the way enquries were going i thought I will get this paid off within 6 months but no joy but thats the punt you make and ok i will get hit with a calibration in July but the funny thing is all the PAT testing I have done is for people who just want a PAT test and not from the people who wanted say a socket or light repaired and PAT testing at the same time because that why I bought it because they said sorry if you cannot do both I will get someone who can
must say i did the same old yin.i bought a metrel gamma pat cos i was getting fed up of landlords getting an inspection done and then coming out with "can you test the washing machine/ fridge etc etc when you are here.
then having to go borrow a pat tester for about 10 minutes work.
its a handy bit of tackle to have if the truth be told but i never expected it to be a money spinner.
its just the way it is in the current climate.something for nothing unfortunately.
i hate pat testing if I'm being honest.it must be great to just put the stickers on regardless if it passes or not though eh?

Well the thing is I have got it now plus the calibration should be £40 a year so no probs their although I just think it is about timing when everybody was saying Ont do both I thought this is no good and now when they phone to get the immersion,shower switch or storage heater fixed I say O by the way I have also added PAT testing to my services :cool4:I get Na I wont bother:frown2:

Oldtimer, I think you have gone the right way and if I had any money I would probably have done the same thing.
I have had very few requests for PAT testing since I was equipped to provide a basic service although at a recent business meeting all the queries were about PAT testing, but no follow up yet.
PAT testing with an MFT is slow so it is difficult to be competitive (especially with the green sticker brigade!)

Customers are a strange breed and it is difficult to anticipate the market; good luck for more (but not too many because it is tedious) jobs coming forward.

Now you have the gear and can say this, when you get the calls you used to get they will ask your price... No doubt they will tell you that your minimum is too expensive as durgh durgh sparks are doing it for 10p per item.

You'll never win this one BUT you have the gear now and so long as you keep plugging (no pun intended lol) away at it then it will eventually work in your favor and then I imagine that you will find yourself with a small but loyal customer base who pay good money for your services.

This is something that I did not want to get involved with but then my Father in law mentioned it and said that he had to pay £85'ish quid to have half a dozen items tested at his static caravan (site terms and conditions) and then he went on to mention that his wife's busy hairdressing salon will need doing in the very near future too and that she has also been paying a fortune.

Decisions decisions :(

The thing is I just got a call about 2 hours ago and they said what do you charge I said £?? (lot less than £85)for 10 items plus a free microwave test O I will get back to you as I only have 5 items I said well go count them you will find it could be nearer 8 but I have a minimum charge and also remember I am a qualified electrician but this could be down to the current economical climate or I just got a penny pinching customer either way I have no regrets getting the tester and if you read the other post "It looks like" I started in the PAT section me thinks the changes are coming with regards to rental properties being told to get fixed appliances tested plus the frequancy could be changed making my bundle/package more appealing

PAT Testing! Another area of the business where there is loads of work and a nice side line, well according to Electrical Trainee course providers.

It IS possible to make money doing PAT Testing - even in the current economic climate. Of course there are cowboys who charge 63p per item, (there are cowboys in ANY industry now) but there are still plenty of people out there prepared to pay a fair price for a decent job. The best customers at the moment are those small and micro-businesses - DJ's, bands, builders, wedding video makers, mobile hairdressers, coffee shops etc. In other words, people who HAVE to have their equipment tested to go onto site or to work at a venue, hotel etc.

I wrote an article about this a couple of years ago and I think most of it is still relevant

PAT Testing - Is it Still Possible to Make Money?ing

I've been working in the field of PAT Testing for more than 25 years, and it gives me a good living. I run training courses in the subject, have engineers working up and down the UK and also sell PAT Testing Equipment. Despite the recession, our business is doing well, and there is still plenty of decent work out there if you know where to look.

Reply to why did I bother in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net