Discuss Wiring conveyors belt in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

anydream

Hi all,
first of all I'm sorry for my english because I'm italian and English is not my mother language.
I have to define the wiring system for several belt conveyors (indoor) and motor fans (outdoor) for an industrial plant. I have already done this work in Italy but not in UK, so I'd like to share your opinion in regard of the types of cable to use.
Cables involved:
1) power cables (sectional area from 2,5mm2 to 6mm2 ) for DOL motors
2) power cables (sectional area from 2,5mm2 to 6mm2 ) for Frequency Controlled motors
3) Instrumentation analog signals 4..20 mA
4) limit switch signals (24Vdc)
5) Electrovalve (24Vdc)
Cables lenght will be up to 70m and mechanical impact could be classified "medium severity".
For point 1) the choice is between SWA cables and non armoured cables (more flexibles) in cable tray and tube (like H07RN-F).
For point 2) i think H07 is not suitable because I need shielded cables so SWA seems the best solution. Any alternatives? Are the SY cables suitable for power motors?
For point 3) SY Cables seem the best solution
For point 4 and 5) SY or CY or H07
I read (part of) the BS7671, but for now I miss experience in using BS cables.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks, Andrea.

Don't use SWA for any vibrating, moving or rotating equipment of any sort, use SY instead.
Correctly terminated.
However, much of this kit may well be outside the scope of BS7671.
For the motors on inverters, check manufacturers data.

Don't use SWA for any vibrating, moving or rotating equipment of any sort, use SY instead.
Correctly terminated.

check he's location 7671 is out the window

Correctly terminated.
My doubt about "SY cables" is that they have a 300/500 voltage rating and usually for 400V motors I used 600/1000V
I thought that all electrical installations in the UK were under the BS7671, why this wiring could be out of scope of BS7671?
P.S. I'm asking about wiring in the UK.

Is this an electrical installation as in buildings or are you designing and installing a piece of machinery?
If it is buildings then BS7671, if machinery EN60204-1.
There are no issues with SY at 400V if you choose the right stuff.

It is a machinery, but I didn't know that BS7671 and EN60204 were alternatives. Several people said me to worry about the type of cables used in UK because SWA cables are very very common and sometimes their use is mandatory (for mechanical protection). Thank you a lot for your answers

They are not alternatives, they apply to different types of installation.
Sorry, but, I feel that you need to understand a little more about your market really before you design and ship this equipment.
I see a LOT of equipment coming into the UK that does not meet the requirements of the New Approach Directives.
It is appalling that suppliers can ship this kit and it does not meet the essential health and safety requirements to carry the CE mark indicating that it complies with these.

I'm sorry but there is a misunderstanding, I know Machinery directive (2006/42/EC) and I follow EN 60204 and EN 13849, but the point is that someone warns me in regard of specific UK wiring rules that sometimes are different from other EU countries and so I thought that only EU directives was not enough. Probably they were bad advise.

There are UK specific wiring regulations for fixed building wiring.
If you are designing and building machinery then meeting the relevant directives, machinery, LV, EMC etc. will be acceptable.
However in the UK we have an elevated level of the interpretation, and a higher level of expectancy from machinery built to these directives it seems than much of the equipment that comes in from mainland Europe.
I see a LOT of EU derived machinery and a LOT of it does not meet the requirements in full.
In the UK an employer can be prosecuted for using a machine bought in good faith with CE marks etc, if it does not comply to the UK interpretation of the directives.
I see this very often, more so mind with equipment coming on from outside the EU, the Americas & more so the Far East.

Actually Chinese Export!
It is a deliberate pseudo copy of the genuine CE mark.
They cannot however copy the exact CE mark which has specific geometric qualities, and is protected in law.
The Chinese mark does not have these qualities, many of us in the UK who are involved with such things on a professional level do know how to distinguish the difference.

However, unfortunately I do still see a lot of equipment coming into the UK from the EU which still does not meet the requirements.

Reply to Wiring conveyors belt in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net