Discuss Working in (north) London in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Toneyz

We are waiting for a big job to start for us local in Northampton. So for a few weeks, we have been asked to help out at a school extension in Highbury told that we could park on site got there can not park on site only 2 hours max on local roads nearest car park 3 hours max and too far to walk. How do jobing London electrical contractors manage apart from if they use residents visitor permits eg seen Thomas Nagy get a parking fine as if paid early is a half penalty cheaper than moving van and paying every 2 hours etc?

When I did my apprenticeship in Surrey/London , If we were working ‘on the meter’ Inside London my job was to move the vans every 2hrs

Oh what fun

When I did my apprenticeship in Surrey/London , If we were working ‘on the meter’ Inside London my job was to move the vans every 2hrs

Oh what fun
This is what I was referring to with Thomas Nagy and cheaper getting a parking fine and paying early. I suppose the cost is added to the job. The electrician down there comes from Croyden on a moped puts a cover over it apparently they can't put a parking ticket on it or remove the cover. wonder if this works if you put a cover over your van?

We are waiting for a big job to start for us local in Northampton. So for a few weeks, we have been asked to help out at a school extension in Highbury told that we could park on site got there can not park on site only 2 hours max on local roads nearest car park 3 hours max and too far to walk. How do jobing London electrical contractors manage apart from if they use residents visitor permits eg seen Thomas Nagy get a parking fine as if paid early is a half penalty cheaper than moving van and paying every 2 hours etc?

Quite often these inner city fines are not too much more than the parking if paid early.

As long as your not causing an obstruction they can't tow you.

I've done some work in London and I just parked as close to the job as possible and risked it, only ever got one fine in Harringay(?) Never paid it and never heard anything from it, very lucky I know.

My question was aimed more to the electrical contractors who live and work in London doing jobs mostly in residential/small commercial. Day to day working

....The electrician down there comes from Croyden on a moped puts a cover over it apparently they can't put a parking ticket on it or remove the cover. wonder if this works if you put a cover over your van?
Not true... as long as they can see the registration number... you'll get a ticket. Don't forget these are not Traffic Wardens, but "Parking Attendants" who are on commission... so they work their patch for every penny they can !

With London its definitely the nature of the beast.

Just get a ticket and pay it early usually half price.
I know for a fact that in some boroughs (Islington being one of the worst for it) BT vans will get 2 or 3 every day...

Day one drive van in and off load tools and material. Rest of week park on the outskirts and jump on the tube.
That's what we are doing at the moment Lee however I revert to my question regarding a jobbing electrician driving from job to job/day to day in London not so much what we are doing by driving to the outskirts and travelling in.

Parking has and will always be a big problem in London.
You simply have to whack a few extra quid on every job for the inevitable parking tickets

Not true... as long as they can see the registration number... you'll get a ticket. Don't forget these are not Traffic Wardens, but "Parking Attendants" who are on commission... so they work their patch for every penny they can !
They have the number place covered.

London is just a total ball ache from start to finish, after all the traffic, charges, parking and fines you need to put on £100 per day before you get out the van

I just dont know why anybody would work up there unles they were getting paid at least £500 per day

Just not worth the aggro

Don't count on not getting towed, I had my car towed by lambeth council once, an hour after it got a ticket (which was at about 0835 when charhing starts at 0830). That was in a pay and display bay.

Reply to Working in (north) London in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock