Discuss WW2 Spitfire Pilot Alan Scott or Stock in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just been watching a documentary about this chap, think he was about 19 or early 20s when he was posted to defend Malta, he flew Spits and has recently been up in a dual seat Spit flown from Biggin Hill, took over control some 70 years since his time in Malta.
Alan has booked his 100th Birthday flight in a Spit, and I'm sure all Forum members will wish him all the best and hope his wish comes true, good luck Alan.

His name is Allan Scott. He has a short book called 'Born to Survive'. I've had the good fortune to met him, and he is indeed a very nice bloke.

WW2 Spitfire Pilot Alan Scott or Stock upload_2019-3-5_15-35-0 - EletriciansForums.net
https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...evgAhWCY1AKHUg3D1cQMwhIKAcwBw&iact=mrc&uact=8

I met him by way of work, so would be inappropriate to say where exactly.

He says in his book, he's looking forward to his 100th, hoping to meet HM if possible. She told him off (nicely) in 1942, when he went to receive his DFM at Buck Palace. He went for a smoke and wander off too far and bumped into Her. :)

I met him by way of work, so would be inappropriate to say where exactly.

He says in his book, he's looking forward to his 100th, hoping to meet HM if possible. She told him off (nicely) in 1942, when he went to receive his DFM at Buck Palace. He went for a smoke and wander off too far and bumped into Her. :)
OK Mate understand no worries, just hope he gets his wishes.

So do I. Think he's 98 this year? As a matter of interest, what was the programme you watched?
It was on YouTube honestly can't recall, maybe just go to you tube and type his name, an inspirational video, something the younger generation should watch, it was Blokes like him who helped give them the freedom they observe today, Rock on Alan.

It was on YouTube honestly can't recall, maybe just go to you tube and type his name, an inspirational video, something the younger generation should watch, it was Blokes like him who helped give them the freedom they observe today, Rock on Alan.
MW it was on Forces TV Virgin 277

MW it was on Forces TV Virgin 277
Sorry not trying to confuse you with wrong info, memory clicked in, delayed action, came to mind, or old age.

He tells the story, when flying in Malta, having run out of ammunition, the normal tactic was to drop to just above sea level to return to the island, to avoid German fighters. This particular time he got followed by two 109's, who kept spitting fire at him. He managed to avoid being hit because of the better movability of the Spitfire, but no ammo to shoot at them They gave up, pulled up each side of him, waggled their wings and left him.

All these guys, are but just a few left. See that sculpture of the first British soldier to die D-Day, Lieutenant Herbert Denham Brotheridge, has just been unveiled;
D-Day 75th anniversary: Statue unveiled honouring those who made ultimate sacrifice - https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1095955/d-day-landings-heroes-normandy-statue-alfie-bradley

He's only jealous 'cos he scoffed all his Jack Daniels last night, and knocked over his last can of Special Brew. :)
special brew??? that's for down and out sweaty socks and druggies. never touch the stuff. JD is a different kettle of distilled wonder.

He's only jealous 'cos he scoffed all his Jack Daniels last night, and knocked over his last can of Special Brew. :)
Must have been windy or the grass was too long, sorry Tel just couldn't resist, blame Mr Klopp

If you are in to your pilots you need to read about Eric "Winkle" Brown who has or had flown more types of plane than anyone else, a friend of mine met him a few times as he used to give talks, shame that he passed away a couple of years ago.

Eric Brown (pilot) - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Brown_(pilot)

I read one of my Uncles flight logs, 54 training hours in a Tiger Moth, I think he then flew Airspeed Oxfords as a trainer.

If you are in to your pilots you need to read about Eric "Winkle" Brown who has or had flown more types of plane than anyone else, a friend of mine met him a few times as he used to give talks, shame that he passed away a couple of years ago.

Eric Brown (pilot) - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Brown_(pilot)

I read one of my Uncles flight logs, 54 training hours in a Tiger Moth, I think he then flew Airspeed Oxfords as a trainer.

I saw the documentary on him awhile ago . He was some man.

I've read about that guy as well.

My personnel favourite is Allan. Not just because he's local to me, he was a fighter Ace, who also then went onto to become an RAF Test pilot, who like Eric flew all sorts of aircraft.

Plus he's a damn good all sorts, as they used to say.

A different era, all these guys & lassies back then.

Reply to WW2 Spitfire Pilot Alan Scott or Stock in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock