Discuss 1.5mm2 TPS for power points in a transportable structure? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm trying to find a definitive answer on the use of 1.5mm 2C+E for power points in a transportable structure which is fed by a 15A inlet socket similar to a caravan. I have recently been contacted by another electrician who is doing the same as me (wiring up a transportable structure) and has asked the question. It is well within the CCC as there is minimal load on the power points (computer, lamp, tv etc).

In the AS/NZS 3001:2008 3.4.1 size and type of cable states: All wiring forming part of the electrical installation shall have a cross-sectional area of not less than 1mm2 and not less than 7 strands consisting of either- a) Multi strand insulated and sheathed cables or b) Flexible cords.

So I'm wondering if anyone has found a rule that clearly states that it is legal to run the power points with 1.5mm2 2C+E TPS in a transportable structure.

I can't speak on AS/NZ standards as I'm not familiar enough with either with regards to this aspect, however speaking in general 1.5mm would be sufficient for a 15A load at 230v (I'd recommend that 2.5 would be better....) and that for a transportable structure you'd be wanting a flexible multi-stranded cable as they are far more mechanically resistant for movement and vibration.

Table C6 in AS3000 is the simplified rules for selecting a protective device. If it's fully surrounded in insulation....quite likely in a transportable vehicle...then 1.5mm2 should have a 10A protective device. No problem using 1.5mm2 as long as it's protected appropriately. Just don't try to use 2 heating elements rated at the typical 2000W at the same time as that will normally trip a 10A breaker. I'd use flexible 2.5mm2 as mentioned by Rockingit to avoid nuisance tripping.

Reply to 1.5mm2 TPS for power points in a transportable structure? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock