Discuss 12/24v water pump capability in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How much water 'litres per minute' is required?
We can't size the pump without knowing this.

there is not a specific ltr/min required as i said it is supplying a second holding tank. I would imagine 5-10 litres a minute would be more than enough.
[automerge]1589177061[/automerge]
I've been asking that since post #6. At first the lift was given as 229m, now it's 60m, so my indication of flow rate per watt were out by nearly a factor of 4. But on the plus side, with mains now available, 60m is within the capabilities of the 'very high head' class of multistage centrifugal potable water pumps. The 12V option is more practical too, with a little less than 1 litre per minute delivered per amp of motor current when using a gearmotor to drive a piston pump.

thanks @Lucien Nunes. Yes the head is around 60m. The 12v is no longer in the picture as there is now mains voltage available. Do you have a link to a good pump which could achieve this? What wattage pump would achieve this.

I would imagine 5-10 litres a minute would be more than enough.
That's not really good enough. AIUI there are figures that can be used for rough sizing of water requirements for livestock - you'll need to go looking for them. The only number I can recall (from maaaaany years ago) is around 10 gallons per cow per day for a milking herd.
Then multiply the number of animals by the nominal water requirements, and that'll give you the mean water requirements you need to be able to pump in a day. THEN you can add in the lift etc to work out what type/size of piump will do it, and what it's power requirements will need to be.
Obviously the larger the buffer tank at the top, the more leeway you have if the animals have a particularly thirsty spell - but however yo do it, you don't want to be reliant on a pump that's running 24/7 to keep up.

Reply to 12/24v water pump capability in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net