Discuss 12 volt LED flashing when off. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Henrydac

DIY
Reaction score
LED lamp flashes every 10-15 seconds when switched off. The lamp is in a bathroom in circuit with a timed overrun extract fan. I understand that the cause can be induced voltage, or bleed off from the electronic switch in the fan timer. Is there a simple solution to this?

Have a search on here for snubbers and you will find some ideas.

Thank you very much, will do.
[automerge]1568813464[/automerge]
I should have mentioned that the LED's are 12 volt, so should the snubber be fitted on the mains or 12 volt side of things?

Last edited:
Mains
What's most likely happening is :
There's a tiny leakage current - could be from the fan, could be in the cabling. The LED power supply is very slowly charging up it's reservior capacitors from this leakage current. At some point, the control chip in the supply decides there's enough voktage to turn on, you get a brief flash, and the capacitors are discharged. Rinse & repeat.

You could try adding a non-dimmable mains LED lamp. It might give you a nightlight function and prevent the charge building up in thev12V driver.
The problems never happened with incandescent lights - they have quite a low resistance when off.

Reply to 12 volt LED flashing when off. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Good afternoon everyone. I have fitted an extractor fan in my bathroom with an overrun timer, to start when the bathroom led lights are turned on...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've installed a Monsoon Extractor Fan kit today, all is up and running and everything is working with the exception of the LED. When I...
Replies
Views
Why is this still a thing, just done a quick calculation with the TLC volt drop calculator and if its a non lighting circuit the recommended size...
Replies
Views
I was at a customers house changing a socket and they asked me a question about their lights. Some of the lights in the house suddenly get...
Replies
Views
Hi, I currently have 4 JCC LED down lights in my bathroom with a 2 gang dimmer on the outside. The first dimmer switch controls the LEDs and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock