Discuss 16A oven hard wired neded in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

i would need advise on how to instal a new oven that need to be hard wired. The current oven is pluged on a 13a plug and the socket is part of a few sockets i have in the kitchen. The MCB related to these sockets is marked as 32A. In these sockets i have the followings appliances: washing machine, dishwasher, coffee machine, gas hob and a kettle.
Could you please tell me how to best install the oven?
Many thanks

Does the oven definitely need 16a? Do know the power rating of it?

If it is deinitiely over 3kw then you will need a seperate, dedicated 16A circuit installing to feed the oven.
Thanks for the reply Shaun1.

yes the oven is rated at a total connected load for 3.45kw and Fuse rating 16A
here the link for the oven Buy Neff N90 B58CT68H0B Single Built In Electric Oven (B58CT68H0B) - Stainless Steel | Marks Electrical - https://markselectrical.co.uk/B58CT68H0B_Neff-Single-Built-In-Electric-Oven.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6c2hqMfs6AIVhOd3Ch2vuALeEAAYAiAAEgIfuPD_BwE

As the current circustances i was thinking of pluging the oven with a 13a plug and do the separate wiring asap. i will then pay attention at not overheating it by using the oven for max an hour and without using other appliances at the same time. Understand that this is not the correct way, but could this work for a couple of weeks?

Many thanks again

I would advise against it as you would be looking at 15-16A through a 13A plug, and the reality is 13A plugs are lucky to survive even 13A unless very new and clean contacts, etc.

Has your kitchen area only got a set of 13A sockets from the one ring as power?

Is there a double-socket near the location of the cooker that could dedicated to it?

While you are not really supposed to put large loads on the ring my own feeling is you would have much less of a fire hazard with a cooker outlet on the ring feeding your 16A oven hard wired with 4mm or so cable than trying to overload a 13A plug/socket.

Hopefully other folk here might comment on this.

Thanks for the reply Shaun1.

yes the oven is rated at a total connected load for 3.45kw and Fuse rating 16A
here the link for the oven Buy Neff N90 B58CT68H0B Single Built In Electric Oven (B58CT68H0B) - Stainless Steel | Marks Electrical - https://markselectrical.co.uk/B58CT68H0B_Neff-Single-Built-In-Electric-Oven.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6c2hqMfs6AIVhOd3Ch2vuALeEAAYAiAAEgIfuPD_BwE

As the current circustances i was thinking of pluging the oven with a 13a plug and do the separate wiring asap. i will then pay attention at not overheating it by using the oven for max an hour and without using other appliances at the same time. Understand that this is not the correct way, but could this work for a couple of weeks?

Many thanks again

You might get away with it, depending on the quality and condition of the plug and socket, bit I definitely wouldnt recomend it. Any point of high resistance (such as a termination thats not quite tight enough, or dirty pin on thd plug) will start to heat up, which will then cause more damage and in turn more heating until the pin burns out. If the oven comes with 2.5mm flex, that is also quite dificult to terminate in a 13A plug (for which it isnt designed)

I understand the current situation makes it dificult to have a new circuit installed, so if you do find you have to go down the road of fitting a plug, make sure the terminations are well made and nice and tight, and maybe also pop the socket off (after safely isolating) and check the screws are tight on the terminations in there, if you feel compentant to do so. And unplug it after every use to check the pins havent started to overheat.

I was trying to find out what the oven comes with and it is not really obvious.

Has it got a flying lead? Did it come with a 13A plug (unlikely) or one of the round 16A "commando" plugs?

Rather than a 13A plug and socket, would a 13A fused cable outlet (which could be put in place of a single socket) have a better chance of not overheating?
[automerge]1587029656[/automerge]
If you do try using a 13A plug then before you actually use it on power, insert and remove the plug and operate the socket's switch 5-10 times to try and clear off any tarnishing of contacts.

Last edited:
It could be worth contacting some local electricians, they may be able to implement a safe system of coming in to install something temporary, if nobody in your household is considered to be particulally vunerable.

For instance, if your CU is in the garage, they could install a 16A cee form (commando) socket next to it, and then give you a 16A cable and plug for the oven, which you could run in to cook your dinner, and then put away again...

Last edited:
If you can get anyone in for advice/help that is the best option.

Otherwise it might be worth posting a picture of your CU (consumer unit = fuse box) in case there is something that folk here see as an opportunity to get an acceptable medium-term solution.

I am guessing you don't have a cooker circuit, but do you have an old immersion heater that has a switch in the kitchen?

as a temporary measure, you could fit a 20A double pole switch rather than a 13A FCU. short circuit protection is by the 32A breaker. overload prtection is not required for a fixed load.but i stress that as a temp.measure.

As Telectrix said, fitting a 20A switch is a simple temporary measure to feed the oven. An example of such as switch is this:
https://www.screwflix..com/p/mk-log...itch-white-with-neon-with-white-inserts/13014
That would fit a single socket space and it has a bottom entry point for the load cable (i.e. your oven) though it might be a bit tight for the cable supplied as it is for up to 10mm diameter.

If you have a double socket then you could fit a cooker switch/socket and do the same, but not all of them have a cable access point so it might mean taking a file and/or junior hacksaw to it for a cable entry point.
[automerge]1587062432[/automerge]
Also many cooker sockets expect a deeper back-box (typically 35mm or more) so that is another factor to check.

Reply to 16A oven hard wired neded in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock