Discuss 18th Edition in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

if you have left a couple un answered, when the time is running out and you are still not sure, discount the couple that are obviously not correct and guess one of the other 2. you have close to a 50/50 chance of being correct.

if you have left a couple un answered, when the time is running out and you are still not sure, discount the couple that are obviously not correct and guess one of the other 2. you have close to a 50/50 chance of being correct.
I'd recommend not leaving any unanswered as you work through them, as if for whatever reason you don't go back, you've guaranteed 0% for that question, as opposed to a minimum 25% chance or like you point out probably 50% chance as two of the wrong options are typically easy to spot.

Also, this might seem obvious to some but many people don't seem to manage it.

Get up EARLY on day of test, shower, coffee, relax a bit.
turn up to test centre with at least 15 to 30 minutes spare.

arriving refreshed and in plenty of time, WILL get you a better result than screeching into the carpark 3 minutes before you should be sat down.

please don't take the above personally, I don't know your age or your work ethics.
I have noticed that quite a few, often but not only, 18 to 30's seem to turn up to everything either JUST on time or slightly late.

Also, this might seem obvious to some but many people don't seem to manage it.

Get up EARLY on day of test, shower, coffee, relax a bit.
turn up to test centre with at least 15 to 30 minutes spare.

arriving refreshed and in plenty of time, WILL get you a better result than screeching into the carpark 3 minutes before you should be sat down.

please don't take the above personally, I don't know your age or your work ethics.
I have noticed that quite a few, often but not only, 18 to 30's seem to turn up to everything either JUST on time or slightly late.
It's all part of the "entitlements" culture... you're "entitled" to turn up with 3 mins to spare because there's no law/rule to say otherwise. "Common sense" was outlawed around the same time... on the basis that it wasn't common.

to be fair, it's pretty easy. just know how to navigate the book and pay attention to special locations.

arrive early, write down any formulas you think you may need on scrap paper when you enter the room.

write down any relevant page numbers from the book on scrap paper for quick reference. IE Zs tables, Cable Calcs, time curves, reference methods etc...

the exam runs in order of the book, you'll get so many questions from chapter 1, chapter 2 etc... in that order. they may even give you a leaflet stating which questions are from which section.

remember, the index and contents page is your friend.

go onto sparky facts web site and do the mock exams on there, they'll help you navigate through the book as they don't run in any order.

finally, good luck, although i'm sure you'll be fine.

I have got my test on the 27th for the 18th edition I am struggling a bit to study the book is there any tips and tricks I should know ?
Re-familiarise yourself with the book, what chapters are where and roughly what's in each capter and appendix just to speed up looking things up.

The exam will be in book order and you can take the book in. So, early questions will have the answer early in the book and so on.

The exam allows you to "flag" questions to which you don't know the answer, use this function.

I personally flew through the exam answering all the questions which I was 95% sure I knew the answer to, approx 50% of the paper and "flag" the rest.

Next I went back through with the book and looked at the easy hits, the definitions or other such answers I could find quickly, approx 30%

By this point I was 99% sure id passed and still had an hour left to go through the trickier questions.

It is not difficult to pass so don't fret.

The biggest mistake you can make is to get bogged down on a tricky question then panic as your time runs down, "flag" it and move on.

The real crazy thing is I don't think I got a single question relating to the 18th changes and even if they were all in the exam you could get them wrong and still stand a good chance of passing.

Best of luck.

Hi all, are you allowed to write notes in your 18th edition book please?

Depends what test centre you take the exam at. some allow you use your own books where you've tabbed them up and written notes. At the centre where i took mine, they supplied us with clean copies to prevent cheating as people had previously been caught.

Reply to 18th Edition in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock