Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss 18th Regulation 411.3.4 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Afternoon all,

Have a quotation regarding garage lighting which requires alteration. It’s a set of flats with a seperate large garage area which id class as commercial hence not needing an rcd as reg Regulation 411.3.4 states only in domestic.
The head of the flats is saying it’s classed as domestic area.
Board is mcbs but unsure I’ll squeeze a RCBO. C

Can you also just cover your own alterations with RCD or does it now have to be at the origin? I’d read on this forum it’s changed

Thanks in advance

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
B

Bobster

Does the cable or installation methods not mean it requires an RCD anyway?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn’t mean the C after RCBO

The installation Method is surface clipped.

They are on there own supply

B

Bobster

Regulation 411.3.4 has no mention of installation method anyway?!
It doesn't have to, as far as I know (Don't own a BBB) it just means all lighting circuits in a domestic property must have additional protection, regardless of installation method.

If outside of a domestic environment an you had T&E buried in a wall less than 50mm it would need the additional protection because of a different regulation.

Thats how I read it and as it’s clipped direct I’m just trying to determine if it’s a commercial area.

B

Bobster

I'd probably class it as falling under a domestic installation.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I think RCD protection would be prudent in light of the new regulation. Although the definition of a domestic premises is in question here, it is an area associated with domestic premises and the system will be used by those dwelling in the domestic premises.

Thanks guys for your input.

If a alteration takes place on a lighting circuit do you need to cover the whole circuit by means of RCD protection or just your additional works?

D

Deleted member 26818

Thanks guys for your input.

If a alteration takes place on a lighting circuit do you need to cover the whole circuit by means of RCD protection or just your additional works?
The requirement is to provide RCD protection for the circuit.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Thats how I read it and as it’s clipped direct I’m just trying to determine if it’s a commercial area.
Is it being used for commercial purposes, is it solely occupied by businesses who pay business rates etc etc.
Or is it a bunch of domestic garages belonging to domestic properties/ intended for use in association with domestic properties?

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Reply to 18th Regulation 411.3.4 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom