Discuss 2.5kw split aircon unit on 20amp Radial in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I currently have 4 double sockets on a 20amp Radial, I am looking to get a small air con unit (2.5kw I think) to cool a 5m by 3m space. Bearing in mind the only things plugged into the sockets are 2 PC and 2 Monitors at most, do you think a 20amp feed is enough?
It is a right pain to try and run another feed and I would like to have the sockets and air con unit on the same radial.

Thanks in advance

I currently have 4 double sockets on a 20amp Radial, I am looking to get a small air con unit (2.5kw I think) to cool a 5m by 3m space. Bearing in mind the only things plugged into the sockets are 2 PC and 2 Monitors at most, do you think a 20amp feed is enough?
It is a right pain to try and run another feed and I would like to have the sockets and air con unit on the same radial.

Thanks in advance
The 2.5 KW A/C that is the heating/cooling load, what does the installation instructions say about electrical loading?

2.5kw is around 10amps

2 pcs and 2 monitors aren’t going to take you over 20amps I reckon.

I say connect it via a Fused connection unit and should be ok.
Tin hat on
The OP hasn't answered my question as yet so we have to assume that the 2.5KW is the cooling capacity of the A/C not the electrical loading.

Thanks in advance
Maybe should have asked this earlier, does this A/C unit have an indoor and outdoor unit?

If it's a plugged-in unit they do sometimes annoy PCs on the same circuit with their switch on transients :rolleyes: .

If it's a plugged-in unit they do sometimes annoy PCs on the same circuit with their switch on transients :rolleyes: .
But even if they are not on the same circuit, they are from the same CU (in most cases), might be a good idea if you havve problems plug your IT equipment into a surge protection unit, just saying.

Can someone enlighten me with the issues regarding AC in a domestic environment, thinking of installing one in the future in my man cave/cinema room. If its complicated, I'll start me own thread.

Ta :)

Can someone enlighten me with the issues regarding AC in a domestic environment, thinking of installing one in the future in my man cave/cinema room. If its complicated, I'll start me own thread.

Ta :)
You will need a safe place for the compressor unit (outside unit) and a suitable place in your Man Cave for the evaporator unit,keeping if possible the shortest route for the pipework, you will also have to get rid of the condensate, so either allow for a condensate pump, or make provision for a gravity system, it's not that difficult to install, but advice would be to use a qualified Fridge Mech to make and commission the A/C H/V side of things, you can deal with the electrics yourself, in cooperation with the A/C guy.

You will need a safe place for the compressor unit (outside unit) and a suitable place in your Man Cave for the evaporator unit,keeping if possible the shortest route for the pipework, you will also have to get rid of the condensate, so either allow for a condensate pump, or make provision for a gravity system, it's not that difficult to install, but advice would be to use a qualified Fridge Mech to make and commission the A/C H/V side of things, you can deal with the electrics yourself, in cooperation with the A/C guy.

From the posts, are there different types or styles of ac set ups? Guess price decides that.

My brother is currently adding a couple more to his house each on 10A mcbs.

Thanks for the advice all!

The unit is a split air con unit so one outside and one inside. It comes with a plug on the end but I can’t seem to find any reference to actual current draw, just the cooling power. All the PCs are on surge protectors already, I like to be on the safe side of things.

The sockets are definitely needed so I am not able to blank these off.

Reply to 2.5kw split aircon unit on 20amp Radial in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock