Discuss 2 way light switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have an upstairs hall light can be switched on/off from both upstairs switch and downstairs switch.....the downstairs light can only be switched on/off from the downstairs switch....the upstairs switch does nothing.

When I look inside the upstair switch it's not connected....I have a diagram of what I know (excuse my crude drawing)

Can anyone help with filling in the blanks or solving how to wire the switch safely that all switches work?

Thanks20200216_171415.jpg
[automerge]1581880072[/automerge]
Hi...this is my first post, I'm a mechanic and mot tester to trade....I know my basic electrics and thought this may just be a dodgy switch or bad connection, but obviously something more....any help would be greatly appreciated....I think I've bought the house that jack built.
Thanks
Al the Mechanic

Last edited:
For some reason the upstairs RHS switch supposedly operating the downstairs light has not been wired, and there are not enough cores to make it work. Change the upstairs 2 gang for a 1 gang 2w. Often only the upstairs light is 2 way'd up and down anyway, with the downstairs light only 1w, pretty standard practice, although clearly useful to have both 2 way'd

looks like the downstairs light never was wired as 2 way. needs some more wiring added to make it work. it's not usual to have the downstairs light 2 way anyway.

looks like the downstairs light never was wired as 2 way. needs some more wiring added to make it work. it's not usual to have the downstairs light 2 way anyway.
For some reason the upstairs RHS switch supposedly operating the downstairs light has not been wired, and there are not enough cores to make it work. Change the upstairs 2 gang for a 1 gang 2w. Often only the upstairs light is 2 way'd up and down anyway, with the downstairs light only 1w, pretty standard practice, although clearly useful to have both 2 way'd

Thanks...I thought this was the case...its just the fact that theres a double switch, I assumed it would have worked at one time, but we all know what assuming does ?...would be handy for it to work 2 way

Thanks...I thought this was the case...its just the fact that theres a double switch, I assumed it would have worked at one time, but we all know what assuming does ?...would be handy for it to work 2 way

Can be done, you'll need a 3 core and earth between the up and down switches.

I saw this earlier and I think this is what I need to make it work, looks like hassle running cables....not worth the trouble...I'll change the switch upstairs ?
Screenshot_20200216-192512_Samsung Internet.jpg

Poster: if you’ve supposedly bought the house that jack built, that could be the least of your worries...
If you find any crackers, pics please. We like a good laugh.

I would second a smart switch set up, if running a 3 core is difficult.... they’re not as complicated as you may think.

Reply to 2 way light switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net