Discuss 2020 Exam Results and your children.. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lou

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
How did your kids do in their exams? Have they got the grades they wanted?

Seems like it has been a bit of a shambles this year to be honest. I do feel sorry for the kids.

Hopefully now the government is letting the teachers give the grades it won't be as bad now.

I heard BTECs are still not being changed though.

My daughter did not bad, she will get an uplift as her teachers gave her a better forecast than she actually got

The Scottish Government actually apologised and said they would fix their mistake, the cynic in me notes that the youngsters are over 65% pro independence (not scaring the horses)

OK, here's my view, briefly...what is the better system?
1. a computer algorithm to decide results, or
2. The teachers who know the pupils

What computer has the ability to assess a pupil?
No, don't tell me how clever they can be...I know that! However, they are not so clever as to be able to grade results, no matter how clever the programming is. End of.

I just hope the smart people who wrote the algorithm get their fees taken back...it's a disgrace, and has caused such torment for the pupils.
yes, there are a few kids who had poor previous grades but who might have crammed like mad and made better in the finals...I was one in my day...but to prejudice a pupil's future on a computer programme is just stupid...insanely stupid...and why didn't the powers that be see that from the start?
You cannot predict human exam results by computer...it's not "logical" so it must fail.
Those who swot like mad will almost always better their grades...they will fail by computer, though. yet those who had good grades throughout were failed, or downgraded by computer too.
I recently had a clear-out and came across my old Report Cards from school...my English teacher wrote:
"He will have to put in a huge effort in order to scrape a minimum "C" Pass in his Higher exam." I got an "A".
It's another example of people just not having a clue...Covid-19 = no exams...ok, we'll let a computer decide...how fkn ignorant, stupid, uninformed is that?
Rant over.

My daughter ended up where she wanted. She needed ABB to do Psychology at Uni East Anglia, the original 'algorithm' results were BBB, but UEA changed their grade requirement to an unconditional offer so she was in. When the school produced the CAG she was awarded ABB anyways. Such fun (not).

This set of kids have gone through so much, no closure to their school years, no final exams, no leaver's ball, no finals day prize giving, no proper goodbye's to their friends - and then this cr@p.

Exactly...not fun at all...
Glad to hear she got her Uni place though!
[automerge]1597793940[/automerge]
A very lame end to schooldays...Covid saw to that...but to kick the kids when they're down is shameful. I have plenty of criticism of the further education system, but that's nothing to do with the students...to hinder the students even getting there is dreadful.
I truly believe our school teachers do a good job, and the children do try hard, in the main, but to deny a pupil a chance at a college or uni place by computer is just cruel, as well as stupid. i know...I said "rant over" earlier, but this is a subject that gets me so annoyed. FFS, the teachers know!
Sorry...I'll say no more.

Last edited:
Covid-19 = no exams...ok, we'll let a computer decide...how fkn ignorant, stupid, uninformed is that?
Well.... the simple fact is... that without a real exam, there are no "correct" results. Whatever method you use to create an artificial result will be wrong. This simple fact (obvious to most, especially our esteemed forum members) has not been explained to the ignorant, stupid and uninformed general public.

The problem that the governments have created is that whatever method they chose should have been stuck to... like sh!t to a blanket, rather than being swayed by the popular press/media because little Johnny (who's suffered enough with the unfairness of not doing proper exams) was expecting an ABB, but was awarded ABC instead. Oh... and he's very upset about it too !

The important factors should have been consistency of results across the country, subjects and years and allowing the correct number of university placements to be selected.

Yes, Zerax, without an exam there are no "correct" results...but there are historic grades and teacher assessments, which I truly believe cannot be assimilated by a machine. I knew a chap who got As for everything throughout his school years, yet was chucked out of Uni after 1st year...he just wasn't Uni material. However, he got the grades he deserved. That's being "human" I guess...
The government created a flawed method. You know that, I know that, and I am sure our members on here know that...so why did our Government not see that too? That's my problem.
You said:
The important factors should have been consistency of results across the country, subjects and years and allowing the correct number of university placements to be selected.

How true.

I’m in a lucky position because my kids are not in serious exam years. (Different story next year)

why did England go ahead with their algorithmed results, when Scotland took a U turn just a week earlier?

Are the unis not being more lenient with their requirements, because they may not get a lot of overseas students? Or are they holding those positions open for them?

All good questions that us mere mortals are not qualified to answer. A lot of the blame lies with Ofqual, but Gavin drove the bus badly and, I guess, foolishly thought that a U turn on the algorithm would make bad headlines. But we can only guess. I look forward to my copy of Private Eye next week!

overseas students were always going to be an issue this year. The Unis earn more from them than UK undergrads. In the current climate they’ll surely take anyone up to their cap. They’ll not hold places for possible overseas students to start sometime in the future.
but uni life will be poorer without overseas cohort, IMO.
Luckily my daughter had already planned to take a gap year before starting uni in 2021. Hoping there’ll be a vaccine and the whole thing will have calmed down by then. We all in real trouble if it hasn’t.

...but there are historic grades and teacher assessments, which I truly believe cannot be assimilated by a machine.
There's nothing wrong per se with using a machine to derive an exam result based on a set of valid criteria/conditions. In fact, it's the way most things are these days. Subjectivism was banned some time ago and replaced with objectivism... the logic being that if you provide a result based on someones personal opinion, that opinion can be challenged in a court or law.

The problem with the algorithmic result used (as I understand it from very limited knowledge/research) is that it appears not to have been compared to the 'teachers opinion' with any major discrepancies investigated. If you're a fan of 'westerns' it's the classic 'head them off at the pass' approach.

ISTR that if the 'teachers opinion' had been used... then some schools would have seen a dramatic rise in performance ! Opinion inflation seems to have backfired.

Should be getting my course result Thursday, o know I'll get a Pass bit anything higher than that would be nice, can't see it though as I don't see scope for anything other than pass/fail on 2365

How can anyone pass an exam without sitting it? I can see how Universities may want results, but when I want to University I was given an entrance exam, it was made very plain the maths required for engineers is complex, and they did two engineering degrees, one where the maths was taught from scratch and one where it was assumed you knew the basic 'A' level stuff. So for University it is no problem having no 'A' level, any 'A' level student will have 'AS' anyway so why even try to guess result for University.

More to the point is employers, they want some school leaving certificate, and OK for a couple of years they will remember students could not take the exam, but in 5 years time there may be a job which needs 'A' level and this years students will not have a valid certificate, even more so with the 'O' level or think combined with 'CSE' now, so what is needed is a exam which does not need to be before September but does need to be available so students can show it to employers in the years to come.

Some could be random selected questions with an on line exam, but the same random generated papers could be produced for written exam, and if random then it does not matter if students talk about the questions, as they will vary, so there is no reason why schools should not open in the evening to conduct exams.

There are some exams where physical work is involved, art 'A' level for example, but the art 'A' level was a 12 hour exam taken over a week, so no difference to normal allowing students to take it in free time.

So in real terms only problem is schools and collages will need to test students without knowing the chances of passing so their score may drop, so simple scrap the scoring for two years so students can return and take just the exam.

My daughter was offered a sponsored degree, with work experience, in finance and business by Daimler Benz. They pay a good salary, university fees, all expenses and offer a new car after six months. Out of 550 she was one of five accepted. There was about 7 or 8 levels of interview. They know what they are doing on recruitment. All previous recruits obtained 1st in each year.

She was undermarked in her A levels, but Daimler Benz are not stupid knowing the situation, saying take no notice you are in.

So, the A level results to her are just numbers and letters given in an odd year, now onto the next stage.

As said this year a see no problem, everyone knows what has gone on. The problem is likely to be in 10 years time. When we have forgotten which years exams were not taken, however one would hope by then people would have higher qualifications.
Once I had my electrical qualifications no one was interested in school reports, CSE or 'O' level. Maybe a non British born may be asked for English, and had I taken Welsh may be I would have been asked for my Welsh 'O' level, however what I can remember now of Welsh taught in school I could write on a postage stamp.

Unfortunately, at degree levels when applying for certain jobs, A level results are taken into account. Two applicants with exactly the same degree, then they drop to look at A level results.

In certain government positions and military they are more interested in what school you went to. You could be less than average, and not a graduate, but if you went to Eton they take you.

The fall out from 2020 will take many years to be forgotten in some sectors and education will be one of those sectors.
The handling of the "exam" results has been a total fiasco and the algorithm that was used seems to have been majorly flawed and biased couple that with the lack of flexibility of the uni's and you have the perfect storm the real outcome of which may only be known in a few years time

While it is all about exam results this year the students that have been forgotten are those in the year before the GCSE and A level exams they have lost a lot of teaching time and have a lot to catch up to meet next years grades

My kids left the education system as students 6 & 8 years ago the current situation hasn't affected me but my niece is just about to start the final year of her pharmacy degree, she is one of the luckier ones in that she is within a commutable distance of the uni campus so doesn't need to be paying for student accommodation that she may not get full use of with the possibility of a second spike come the winter months but she is a bit bothered how this last year of her degree will go if there is any repeat of this years lockdowns

One thing is certain 2020 has been a stressful year to date for many people and looks like it will continue to be for some time to come

There has always been a who you know, my son got into the trade because who he knew, me, an employer wanted me, he said what can I offer you to get you back, and I said job for my son.

Also the all other things being equal then looking at anything from leisure activities to schools attended. I got my first job over a talk about chess.

But you can't say any children have an advantage or disadvantage if no exams taken and as a result no exam results, only when you fudge up some results is there a problem.

The problem today revolves around the league tables, before them I could walk into a collage and sit any exam I wanted, it did not matter if I passed or failed, but the league tables resulted in no external candidates as it could bring down their rating, so you had to take the course and be recommended to take exam by the teaching staff to be able to have a stab at the exam.

As long as that is removed then any students can return to school or collage to take the exam. And they will need to, as employers are not daft, they will in the future ignore any 2020 exam results as they all know there was no exams, so a 2020 'A' level will become worthless.

There is really no option, they need to be given a chance to sit the exam. The problem will be how well did they learn during lock down? Some will have been taught by parents also on lock down and it will depend on parents skill, so some will have learnt more, and some will have seen it as a holiday. So the actual results will not be as predicted as no teacher can predict how good the parent is.

There is also the fact that 'A' level books are not always correct, I did 'A' level physics about 4 years ago, if I did three subjects it was £10 if not £80 per subject, so I did physics as thought I would know most of it, but the circuit diagram for a fluorescent light completely missed out the ballast, so had there been a question on it, I would likely have given a different answer to most students.

This of course happens in all walks of life, as an electrician the question what should you do if you find a damaged tool will be different to an ordinary persons answer.

This of course happens in all walks of life, as an electrician the question what should you do if you find a damaged tool will be different to an ordinary persons answer.
Is the answer "Ask him when's the water going back on ?"

Reply to 2020 Exam Results and your children.. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock