Discuss 230V remote transmitter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

due to the recent events I am in DIY mode. I'm usually on mains power and some control wiring during my normal working days so this particular unit I'm looking for I can not find!

Scenario:-

2 x sheds to be remote locked / unlocked

I want a simple neon lit switched fused spur to power a transmitter that sends a signal to a receiver which will then in turn power a contactor to operate 4 x electromagnetic door locks (top and bottom of each shed door)

All I need to source is a 230v switched transmitter and receiver, all I can find is remote controls which will definitely get mislaid at some point!

What is the correct terminology I need for a succesful google search? Or if anyone has any units in mind feel free to share!

You could look at Quinetic... TLC have them off the shelf.

They are wireless, with no batteries in the switch, the receives will fit inside a Wiska 407 (IIRC) and they come in non-WIFI and WIFI enabled flavours with two switching capacities of 6A and 16A. They also do a dimmer receiver which you obviously don't want.

Any particular reason for using electromagnetic locks? I suspect a crowbar would be sufficient to overcome them (I've never tried).

Mag locks should be used for access control not for security of a building

Some can be used with alarm systems which trigger when unlocked but all can be overcome by disconnecting the power or applying lots of force (275lbs - 2000lbs depending which mag lock you have)

Your scenario I would only use for keeping kids out of the shed when deadlocks are not locked because power disruption and wireless interception is a real security problem because it will leave your locks wide open and no way to lock if this is your only security

As SC said, Quinetic do a nice range of wireless equipment where the switch is totally wireless and can be mounted anywhere and the receiver you power in the shed. You would have to check the range on it tho and I also don't think the signal is secured in any way

Maybe a garage door control / interface would be better for this?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info.

Is there anything that can be set up like I suggested? I'm not keen on the idea of fully wireless kit, and I want the neon to indicate whether we have left it unlocked.

It's not for major security, if someone wants to get into a wooden shed they will easily whatever it is you have. It's more for convenience, happy wife happy life if all we have to do is flick a switch to unlock them it will be easier to get the washing in and out to the tumble dryer!

Top and bottom locks because I can see the door being damaged if its locked on the top and some fool tries to open it still.

Where is the best place to shop for random gadgets that I can mash together?

Reply to 230V remote transmitter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock