Discuss 2391-52............. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 26818

As some of you will know, I have been off work for the last few months with a broken arm.
So whilst off work, I decided to do my 18th edition update and get it out the way.
I then decided to have a bash at the 2391-52.
Again, I still haven’t bought any books, so they had to lend me a copy of the BBB, OSG and GN3.
There are 4 exams.
1) is short written exam where you have to state what action you would take in a given scenario.
For instance, what action you would take during an Initial Verification if you discovered a broken socket-outlet.
Similarly what action you would take if you were conducting a periodic.
2) is a selection of 7 photos which you must determine the faults (if any) and apply codes.
3) is an online 2 hour, 60 question multiple choice exam.
I did slightly better on this than for my 2382.
4) is a practical test where I first had to do Initial Verification, then conduct a periodic and find 2 faults.
After doing all that, the test rig was livened up and I had to do Safe Isolation, and do the live tests. Ze, PFC, PSCC and RCD test.

For the Initial Verification, I only had to verify two of the circuits.
For the periodic, I had to test 5 or 6, two of which were the same as for the initial.
They gave me two sets of forms to fill out at the outset, so after continuity of earth conductors and Ring Final conductors, the sequence of tests kinda went out the window.

Was it hard?
I don’t really know, it wasn’t easy.
Is the new one easier than the original?
Again I don’t really know?
There were no questions where you get 15 points just for listing all the steps for safe isolation.
There were no scenarios where you had to describe how you would inspect a factory or a coal mine.
Also there were no questions where you got 3 points for listing the colours of conductors in a single phase circuit.

There were 3 tests which were 100% pass or fail, and the multiple answer test with a pass mark of 75% or higher.

If anyone were considering doing it, I would suggest doing before the 1st of July, because there were no questions about anything that has changed from the 3rd amendment.

The original was a two and a half hour written exam, closed book and a two hour practical , If my memory serves correctly.
It was a difficult exam with a low pass rate.

We had to wait weeks for the results . That was as bad as the exam to be honest.
I won’t get the certificate until mid May, as the exam center gets visited by someone from C&G at the end of the month to rubber stamp everything.
Apart from the Online exam, the staff tell you whether you’ve passed or failed, and for the Online exam, the center logs in to get the results almost immediately after you’ve finished.

We were told we had passed the practical as soon as we finished it and completed the test sheets and results.

The original was a two and a half hour written exam, closed book and a two hour practical , If my memory serves correctly.
It was a difficult exam with a low pass rate.

That's how i remember it....only my tester had the invigilator from C&G,watching him,watch me....marvellous :rolleyes:

LOL @PEG . It took 12 weeks for the results of the written exam of the old 2391-10.

Probably similar wait for 2391-20 (Design - previously 2400) written exam.

Yep,sometimes that just added to the satisfaction,of a good result.....everything is instant,now,even freshly fertilised eggs,have a 3-D colour picture,before morning break...

I think my CPC exam result,took three months to come through,and still remember holding and sniffing the envelope :rolleyes:

I didn't think the original 2391 was that bad it's only level 3 after all same as Electrical C&G courses and I'm no genius

3 out of 11 people on the course I did passed.

I bought the IEE exam success book which was really useful,
Without revising I did the two tests at the back of the book which both resulted in a 50 % ish fail mark
I knew then exactly what I needed to brush up on

Also paying for it myself was a great motivation !

A lot of people saw the scenario and panicked as it was based in a petrol station ie not in an area they were familiar with.

I just looked at it and thought at the end of the day it's just a circuit and it was only looking for the basics ie constructed installed, terminated correctly no damage etc

The new 2391 sounds easier than the 2391 I did 18 years ago, as ruston says 2.5 hour closed book written exam split into 2 parts. 20 3 point short answers and 6 15 point long answers where your writing hand goes into spasm if you haven't practiced writing beforehand.

The problem with multiple choice questions, is that often none of the answers are correct.
Here’s a sample question I found:
BS7671 states no alterations should be made to an existing installation unless?
a) The completion certificate can be produced for the existing installation.
b) A minor Works Certificate can be produced.
c) The permission of the supply company has been obtained.
d) The existing installation conforms to current Regulations.

I don’t know if that’s an official C&G sample question, or something someone made up.

Reply to 2391-52............. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock