Discuss 27 and hoping to start in Electrical in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jjb853

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I am 27 years old and looking to start work in the electrical industry. I have passed my CSCS card and will be doing the ECS card soon enough. I am going to be starting a level 2 city and guilds course soon part time (one evening per week) through a college. Just wondering what the best way is to get some experience really? My Uncle is a sparky and said can get a few contacts for weekend work but can't guarantee anything as I will be working in my current role in sales until I can make the move full time, I have bills e.g Mortgage, Car etc. I would love to work some weekends and gain experience whilst I train ideally but I am struggling to find anywhere that would take me on, even if it's unpaid. I did work as a labourer for my dad when I was younger for a few years so I am no stranger to construction industry, just nothing in the electrical industry. Any advice that anyone can give me or anyone who has started later on in life have any words of wisdom, I would be most grateful. I appreciate this isn't going to happen over night and that this will take years, but I am a grafter and I am prepared to commit to this fully. Cheers!

right attitude there. get as much experience as you can through your uncle and any contacts he passes over, while still earning in present job. a few small weekend jobs also help to pay the bills.

How many weeks holiday do you get a year?
Also add up your bank holidays plus weekends.
So how much time do you think you have available for work experience?

27 is a great age to be learning.
You will learn a lot more in your spare time than the majority of the snotty nosed little kids that are ----ing it off up college and in work..

How many weeks holiday do you get a year?
Also add up your bank holidays plus weekends.
So how much time do you think you have available for work experience?

27 is a great age to be learning.
You will learn a lot more in your spare time than the majority of the snotty nosed little kids that are ****ing it off up college and in work..
I normally get 35 including bank holidays, I want to commit most weekends to experience and if there is the odd job here and there I can do in the week I can always arrange either holidays or unpaid worst case. From what I'm seeing, attitude is key to this and just being persistent, just struggling to get in initially if I'm honest. Happy to do the work that no-one wants to do as long I learn something and start networking with some contacts but just wanted to know if anyone had any tips etc.

I normally get 35 including bank holidays, I want to commit most weekends to experience and if there is the odd job here and there I can do in the week I can always arrange either holidays or unpaid worst case. From what I'm seeing, attitude is key to this and just being persistent, just struggling to get in initially if I'm honest. Happy to do the work that no-one wants to do as long I learn something and start networking with some contacts but just wanted to know if anyone had any tips etc.
good approacgh, but don't sell yourself short.if i had you workibg with me, I'd not expect you to work for nothing, even min. wage would be appropriate.

good approacgh, but don't sell yourself short.if i had you workibg with me, I'd not expect you to work for nothing, even min. wage would be appropriate.

Yeah agreed, but right now just willing to do whatever it takes to make those initial steps. I appreciate good workers are hard to come by and with me having little to no experience in the electrical industry I understand not just anybody will take me on. Someone recommended maybe signing up to an agency but not sure if that is the right way to go? I am a bit of novice to all this so not sure on which paths are the best to take to get in the door.

Hi Gents. I’m new to this forum.
I am 32 and I’ve just Qualified from college. I was in the same boat as u JJB. The way I approached the situation was I got a job as an electrician’s mate that paid £11.35 per hour. I paid for my own College fees and asked my employer if I could take 1 day off per week to attend college. This enabled me to earn enough to pay my mortgage, car etc.

Hi Gents. I’m new to this forum.
I am 32 and I’ve just Qualified from college. I was in the same boat as u JJB. The way I approached the situation was I got a job as an electrician’s mate that paid £11.35 per hour. I paid for my own College fees and asked my employer if I could take 1 day off per week to attend college. This enabled me to earn enough to pay my mortgage, car etc.
Yeah that is the route I am trying to take, I am just trying to find someone who is willing to give me the chance so I can earn and learn kind of thing, there is only so much I am going to learn in a classroom and appreciate the on the job element will be pivotal. Fingers crossed someone throws me a bone soon, but Rome wasn't built in a day! I'll keep trying and even if I do just get weekend stuff for now it's a start.

Just a quick question, what are my odds of becoming a sparky's mate without any experience? I just want to do as much as I can to learn both on the job and in the classroom but from my initial outlook, it seems no-one will touch me without any experience. I understand that but I just worry if this is the case now, will that be the same when I gain more qualifications? Maybe it's my impatience but would love to be able to work and learn and kind of fast-track myself.

Just a quick question, what are my odds of becoming a sparky's mate without any experience? I just want to do as much as I can to learn both on the job and in the classroom but from my initial outlook, it seems no-one will touch me without any experience. I understand that but I just worry if this is the case now, will that be the same when I gain more qualifications? Maybe it's my impatience but would love to be able to work and learn and kind of fast-track myself.
I just finished level 2 electrical (2365) along with IPAF, PAT, 18TH, ECS, and still can't find work. I would suggest do all the courses like I have then look for a full time job while doing your level 3.

Is that just because of experience do you think? That's the one thing I am a little concerned about, just don't want to go through all this only to find I can't get a job due to lack of experience etc

Is that just because of experience do you think? That's the one thing I am a little concerned about, just don't want to go through all this only to find I can't get a job due to lack of experience etc
Yeah but my friend has just found a job and he is at the same stage as me. You will have to get some sort of knowledge before you start looking and just hope someone gives you a chance. Motivation and determination...

Throw yourself at your uncle.

If you were to work a few weeks in the summer with him (sacrifice the holidays) then you would have experience.

Throw yourself at your uncle.

If you were to work a few weeks in the summer with him (sacrifice the holidays) then you would have experience.
Yeah he does a paye job so it's hard for him to get me the work, he does do the odd cis job and he said he can get me on that but will be once in a while.

If you can get your face known (with your uncle if possible) in the wholesalers and let as many as you can know you are willing to help out in busy times.

Reply to 27 and hoping to start in Electrical in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock