Discuss 3 way switching help with in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all
In a bit of situation and need some advice
In middle landing i have a box with feed coming in then cable going to lamp both tween and earth then from same box 3 core and earth going to bottom landing another 3 core and earth going to other side of landing and from otherside of landing 3 core and earth to top landing , how can i make connection in middle landing for switching the light from all points thanks in advance

I'm not sure if you mean that the box with the feed and light cables is itself a switch position, but if it is, it needs to be an intermediate. The one on the other side of the landing is an intermediate, while the top and bottom positions are 2-ways. You can use either 'conventional' wiring (PL and SL to 2-way commons via 3rd cores) or 'conversion' (PL and SL to L1 and L2, commons strapped via 3rd cores) either is equally convenient and effective with this cable layout.

It sounds like it's having the neutral at the first switch that is confusing matters. The Neutral from the feed needs connecting to the Neutral going to the light.
That leaves a Permanent Live feed (PL) and a Live going to the light.

At that point, a diagram like this might make sense:

Noting that using the 'conversion' method shown in that link, the PL and SL can be connected to L1 and L2 at any switch or paralleled with any run of the 3-core, including at an intermediate or in between two intermediates.

Not applicable to the OP, whose PL and SL are in the same box, but worth noting: What you cannot do with that method is join PL into one run of 3C+E and SL into another (although clearly they can be at opposite ends of the same 3C+E). But you can do that with 'conventional' connection, where the 3rd core is used where needed to get PL and SL to the 2-way commons.

2 way switches top and bottom, 2 x intermediate on middle landing. Live and switch line in with the strappers.

Attachments

• F3E767E0-F673-4FB1-A0B7-CB35B710B118.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 10
if you are realy strugling consider capping them all and use Quinetic.
its newer a good idea to connect and power on the wires if you are unsure how they work...

if you are realy strugling consider capping them all and use Quinetic.
its newer a good idea to connect and power on the wires if you are unsure how they work...
The cables are in situ so why would you do that.

The cables are in situ so why would you do that.
I wouldn't,
But for DIY mine recommendations are not to power something untill you are sure what it does. I have seen quite a lot of cases with multi-way switches resulting in switching on neutral. So If you are unsure, go the safe way.

I wouldn't,
But for DIY mine recommendations are not to power something untill you are sure what it does. I have seen quite a lot of cases with multi-way switches resulting in switching on neutral. So If you are unsure, go the safe way.
According to their profile they are not DIY.

According to their profile they are not DIY.
I might have been wrong on DIY part then
The rule of newer connect wire unless you know what it does applies even to pro trader.
I remember when I have first passed mine 17th edition practice.
For heaven and earth I could not figure out what one pair of cables was for and had continued inspection on all the others.
With time counting I have isolated the wires and Continued to finish the rest of mine inspection. It turned out that it was a radial I have missed out measuring the Ze.
Because I have isolated it, It did not come-up on safety issue. And I figured it out when I have had no power for RCD testing in spurred socket.
But mine habit of not powering what I do not know staid with me. Even when replacing CU's I still only connect circuits which I know where they go and if anything left look if its still in use somewhere (usually old water tank heaters).
Anyway, its mine opinion and I accept that you have a different one

I wouldn't,

If a DIYer is unsure they should call a professional, not make things worse by adding more parts to an already confused situation.

Reply to 3 way switching help with in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net