Discuss 3phase vehicle ramp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its hard to put what's in your head down in writing sometimes, I face exactly the same trouble so don't worry about that.

Personally I find tray to be a bit pointless when only putting one cable on it and there is never likely to be a need to add more down it. You'll find light duty tray to be as flimsy as bog roll, but the medium duty stuff far more rigid

You can even run the cable down the unistrut, but we went todo it one day to bridge between two outbuildings and the suit guy said no no no and made us Bolt two Pieces of uni strut to walls and put cable tray on top for 2 legs of fp. But that's the joy of government work, money no issue

Oooo i see now thanyou dave. Sorry if i sounded thick, i keep doing that (not explaining myself properly). I never attempt anything im unsure of but thought it only got to come 2 mtrs off the wall and wanted to see the best ways others do it. Like i say i was just thinking tray off the wall across, 90 degree bend down the arm of the ramp to the controls on the ramp but werent sure if it would be sturdy enough. The unistrut that uve said sounds the best system thoe. Thankyou guys

Uni strut across at high level, conduit drop to ramp fixed to unistrut at 90deg.at the top with a saddle.
Change from conduit to kopex at top of conduit (swan neck/angle box or whatever) and run it along the uni strut.
At the wall, change back to conduit and continue to isolator.
All assuming uni strut mounting is possible and secure.

Why the change to kopex along the unistrut?

I'd run conduit along the unistrut and a kopex drop to the ramp then down the side of the ramp in conduit depending on where connection box is. Kopex merely being there to take up any vibration or movement in the ramp.

I can see the ideas coming wrt tube, & kopex, however you'd still be running 6491 which is not suitable for connection to vibrating machinery anyway...

Mind neither is SWA, hence my thinking of possibly SY protected by Unistrut.

Is there much vibration of a lift??? Is there a deciding factor on when to use sy flex from data or do you have to judge yourself...

Guys, i cant thankyou all enough, ill be back there for an afternoon next week to talk through with the manager, so ill get some pics for you all. Literally thoe the whole workshop, the cable system is just cable ties and clipped direct if its not sagging cables. Is there a thanks button on this iphone app or is it just on the computer

I didn't mean that vibration, the steel conduit will be fine with that as it will be minimal from a vertical lift like that. I was meaning the movement you get when the mechanic is walloping away at a stubborn exhaust etc from underneath the car, You have to consider how the equipment is used not just how it behaves when you run it up and down to test it.

Use a common sense judgement to decide how much movement you need to allow for, there's nothing stopping you from running flex in the conduit. My reasoning for conduit is without seeing the site I am expecting a high chance of impact to the wiring and SY, SWA etc just ain't got as much resistance to that as conduit has.

dave,
I would expect the operational vibration to be more damaging to 6491/SWA than the vibration from the work on the lift.
As the operational vibration will have a distinct repetitive frequency related to the fundamental frequencies of the rotating equipment.

I can see where you are coming from with using tube for mechanical protection, but, there are ways of minimising the possibility of contact, routing etc.

I would prefer to use a fine stranded cable & a flexible connection to the ramp TBH.
If you are going to run Unistrut to support the conduit, why not use that as the containment @ high level then drop down the ramp with an alternative containment if necessary, using possibly SY or as you say flex, but with the "bend" out of harms way where you may not be able to protect the flex?
Say a drop of tube down the ramp leg, remembering that you can' drill & tap or even drill a load bearing structural member to support your conduit, so you would need another way of fixing the conduit to the ramp leg if you used that or Unistrut to the floor adjacent to the ramp, in which case again use that as the containment.

You'll get very little vibration of any form if the lift is installed to correct standards. There are strict standards and regular maintenance inspections involved with concrete bedding, fixings, load requirements,etc.
If it is 4 post, certainly no problems with vibration to affect a solid conduit/unistrut install.
Installed solid conduit into 2 post units too, regularly, no problems.
More mechanical damage is likely due to lack of height and unaware mechanics. lol!

dave,
I would expect the operational vibration to be more damaging to 6491/SWA than the vibration from the work on the lift.
As the operational vibration will have a distinct repetitive frequency related to the fundamental frequencies of the rotating equipment.

I can see where you are coming from with using tube for mechanical protection, but, there are ways of minimising the possibility of contact, routing etc.

I said without seeing the site I am expecting a high chance of impact, if I had seen the site and found a suitable route that minimises the chance of damage then yes something less strong could do it. When discussing this I see in my mind the last garage I worked in where there was minimal chance for such routing. I try to work on a theory of plan for a worst case scenario and if you get an easier one then its a pleasant surprise.

The back wall and side wall are completly free, its a 4 post MOT ramp. As you cant drill the leg, probs be best with unistrut above the leg then drop down in sy, or make frame work from wall to floor. Ill be goin bk in the week so will measure

Hi flanders, cheers pal, i had a look on unistrut and purchased it from strut direct in walsall, great service there. Alot cheaper than i thought to

Reply to 3phase vehicle ramp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net