Discuss 4mm Radial in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Cirrus

I have been asked to run a new circuit into a shop for a new lottery machine. Chap wants 3 x double metal clad sockets. I was thinking of running a 4mm t&e radial supply over 15 meters. What size MCB would I be advised to put into the CU?

Not sure Wayne as it's in a shop. What is normal practice? He won't be using the skts to mow the lawn:)

Over that distance 2.5mm would have been adequate along with the B20 breaker...I would say RCD also as the extra sockets may supply some portable equipment, there may be different people working there at different times that don't realise your not supposed to plug that old 'Kirby' vacumn in to it....you know the one, that lovely solid metal one:eek:

Why Not a 32A Breaker ?

Were there any correction Factors to apply which would make you want to wire an A3 radial in 4mm instead of 2.5mm, if not you are putting in an A2 radial (page 151 on site guide-16th)

Does it serve a Floor area in excess of 75 sq metres

And i don't think an RCD on the Lottery machine will go down to well with the punters, Quick design and install it to the 16th ! otherwise it will need an RCD (unless the spotty herbert in the shop can be classed as a skilled or instructed person)

Why Not a 32A Breaker ?

Not on a a3 radial.....if thats what your saying andy, and what has the lottery machine got to do with rcd? cant see why that would be a problem unless there prone to high leakage current.
Already stated a run of 15m cable which is why a a3 radial would suffice.:)

Why not put the machine(s) on switchfuse spur(s) then RCD is definitely not required !

Well I feel like I am about to get shot down in flames just like Jessie James, but my point was that if the circuit supplies fuse spur outlets then whatever is conected to them is fixed equipment rather than portable, and does'nt need to disconect within 0.4 seconds !
The possability of any other equipment being plugged in and used elsewhere is removed !

As they said at Rouke's Drift, "fire at will" !!

jeeeez ! never seen something so simple get so complicated !!!!
yeah you could do 2.5mm ,but then what about this what about that ,4mm for 15 M of cable gives you spare capicity doubt some ones gonna undercut you on price and use 2.5
under 17th the fu spur would be 0.4 s disconnect
i asked about an rcd because of the 17th regs (rcbo)

Am doing the job thisweekend so I don't need to worry about RCD as is still under 16th Ed. Only mentioned 4mm cos I got stacks of it lying around but got heaps of 2.5 too:)

Well I feel like I am about to get shot down in flames just like Jessie James, but my point was that if the circuit supplies fuse spur outlets then whatever is conected to them is fixed equipment rather than portable, and does'nt need to disconect within 0.4 seconds !
The possability of any other equipment being plugged in and used elsewhere is removed !

As they said at Rouke's Drift, "fire at will" !!

ah, can see the way you are going, you mean a switched fuse 'flex' outlet, rather than a s/o?

bit of a faff just to avoid RCD's! But of course, thats assuming the RCD was being provided for supplemetanry protection because the circuit failed to achieve its disconnection time, which just changing it to 5s is a bit of a kop out......

'course under the 17th this wouldnt apply anyway, because now its down to CPD size not circuit supplied (submains excluded!)

doing it under 16th it doesnt need an RCD, and under the 17th the sockets wouldnt need RCD if they are labelled 'lottery machines only' (although the cables supplying still might)

Reply to 4mm Radial in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock