Discuss 4mm Radial in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ah, can see the way you are going, you mean a switched fuse 'flex' outlet, rather than a s/o?

bit of a faff just to avoid RCD's! But of course, thats assuming the RCD was being provided for supplemetanry protection because the circuit failed to achieve its disconnection time, which just changing it to 5s is a bit of a kop out......

'course under the 17th this wouldnt apply anyway, because now its down to CPD size not circuit supplied (submains excluded!)

doing it under 16th it doesnt need an RCD, and under the 17th the sockets wouldnt need RCD if they are labelled 'lottery machines only' (although the cables supplying still might)

Its a fecking minefield out there so it is Shakey :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Shakey beat me to it.
Me I'd slap in a 2.5mm radial on a 16amp mcb & lable the socket as a dedicated socket for lottery machine only (to comply with 17th).
Or
do as above but use fused flex outlet (as already said) to comply with 16th & lable as above.

On another note......... Shakey (or anybody else) have you heard anything about the labling of dedicated sockets for 17th regs...
Was told by NICEIC assessor that a printed sticker will not suffice but an engraved accessory would only meet the requirements of the 17th....(he said crabtree & MK were mass producing them at this time)

Beaware the NICEIC assessors are now asking questions about 16th & 17th regs during assessments;) mine did anyway.

I have been asked to run a new circuit into a shop for a new lottery machine. Chap wants 3 x double metal clad sockets. I was thinking of running a 4mm t&e radial supply over 15 meters. What size MCB would I be advised to put into the CU?
i doubt the client would want to call an electrician everytime he wants to shift the lotto m/c so fu spurs is a non starter
3 double metal clad sockets lotto m/c needs one whats the rest for?
i refer to my first answer ,the simplest reply on this thread b20 does it need rcd?

Well, the job is a no-go as went to look at what was needed materials wise and the board is an old Wylex with re-wireable fuses. No spare ways and only one 30A breaker with 3 conductors terminated in it. I refused the job as also the earthing system was TT with a 4mm earth and NO RCD present. Sadly, altough a shop, it is leased from the council so said if she gets them round to upgrade the board I will happily go back and do the work.

Could have split the tails & fitted a small cu with 30mA rcd main switch & mcb for circuit or a standard mainswitch & 30mA rcbo for circuit, then thumped in a new rod with 10mm to a MET for both new & old boards.
Why turn work away:D

I can't do the work as it's council leased. I don't want to get on their preferred contractor scheme for a few months until I have properly set up on my own. I quoted to the shopkeeper for the board upgrade but it isn't their decision. As for turning work away - I haven't either but if the council say no to the upgrade then I can't get the work. As Easyfox mentioned, it's a sound idea to split tails etc but these guys won't pay that much. They are Sikhs and want everything done at a knockdown price!:D

Shakey beat me to it.
Me I'd slap in a 2.5mm radial on a 16amp mcb & lable the socket as a dedicated socket for lottery machine only (to comply with 17th).
Or
do as above but use fused flex outlet (as already said) to comply with 16th & lable as above.

On another note......... Shakey (or anybody else) have you heard anything about the labling of dedicated sockets for 17th regs...
Was told by NICEIC assessor that a printed sticker will not suffice but an engraved accessory would only meet the requirements of the 17th....(he said crabtree & MK were mass producing them at this time)

Beaware the NICEIC assessors are now asking questions about 16th & 17th regs during assessments;) mine did anyway.

well, i have to be honest, this is the first time i have heard of the NIC talking out of their ar*e!!!!:p

book says 'suitably labeled' or 'suitably identified', so what are they saying, if a socket had 'freezer only' (for example) stuck on it they would fail it on a PIR - would love to know what code they would give it, and which reg it contravened

obviously, if you were in a humid or greasy environment you would tend not to use a stick on label, but what is wrong with using it in a house

its complete shash anyway

lets say someone had a socket labeled (or etched) with 'freezer only', and they decided to re-arrange the utility room, and put the washing machine there instead - how would safety be compromised? i suppose if you then re-labelled (or re-etched it) with 'washing machine only' then the householder would instantly become 'safe' again and breathe a huge sigh of releief

you couldnt make it up

well, i have to be honest, this is the first time i have heard of the NIC talking out of their ar*e!!!!:p

book says 'suitably labeled' or 'suitably identified', so what are they saying, if a socket had 'freezer only' (for example) stuck on it they would fail it on a PIR - would love to know what code they would give it, and which reg it contravened

obviously, if you were in a humid or greasy environment you would tend not to use a stick on label, but what is wrong with using it in a house

its complete shash anyway

lets say someone had a socket labeled (or etched) with 'freezer only', and they decided to re-arrange the utility room, and put the washing machine there instead - how would safety be compromised? i suppose if you then re-labelled (or re-etched it) with 'washing machine only' then the householder would instantly become 'safe' again and breathe a huge sigh of releief

you couldnt make it up

Yep I shook my head at it aswell mate.:confused:

Reply to 4mm Radial in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock