Discuss A Hi & advice needed...have I made a mistake? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys

A little advice needed from some experienced sparks.

Last year at the age of 27 I decided on a career change from working in offices to being an electrician. My dad was a spark so it always interested me but for some reason I never went into it when I left school!

Anyhow I enrolled on the level 1 (7202) at college which I enjoyed/passed and in September this year I started the level 2 which again I'm enjoying however I've become a bit fed up when it comes to actually trying to get employment in the industry to the point where I've pretty much given up on the course.

Since last Christmas I have been writing, ringing and emailing hundreds of electrical firms and all I've been getting is knock back after knock back. The main reasons I get are that I don't have any electrical Improver experience or that they don't want to employ a 28 year old who knows very little when they can get paid to take on a 16-19 apprentice from the government.

I kind of feel like I've hit a brick wall! Have I gone into this too late?

Feedback would be really appreciated.

Cheers! :)

Welcome Mate, sorry I can't offer any advice, mainly because I am retired and don't know the rules regarding Adult trainees, there are guys on the Forum who do though, and you never know there may be someone willing and able to offer you some sort of employment.

As you are currently training, I would think you have the prerequisites for access to the trainee area, a post or PM to one of the Moderators may prove fruitful, don't give up your course now you have gone this far it would be a shame to chuck it all away, good luck and hope someone can help.

Keep plugging away mate. My apprentice is 27. It’s hard for him. He has 2 additional jobs but knows it will pay dividends in the future. The age thing is a difficult problem for apprentices. On the flip side I get zero financial help towards my costs.

Can you offer some free work experience to someone, even if for a limited time to get your foot in the door?

I could not offer you or any trainee a job at a reasonable rate per day as it's not viable for me.

With a second training spark on site I actually work slower and get less done than if I was on my own because instead of getting on with what I need to do I am spending my time explaining, teaching and checking everything the trainee is doing.

However if you where to offer yourself as a labourer to a spark like me at £50-60 per day. That may be benificial to me and the trainee. I would have an extra pair of hands and you could pick up tips and gain experience just by being there.

I know it's not a lot, but it's a means to an end. The end being gaining the experience and then earning loads once this is accomplished.

Don't give up on the course, especially if you're still enjoying it. Even if you go in a different direction, having the qualifications on your CV is a big plus. Going the distance on a difficult technical course tells a prospective employer a lot about you.

If you're getting no joy with applications get help with the CV, if you haven't already. A well-presented CV can open doors and they're hard to do without help.

Keep going and do not give up. When you make it you'll be thankful you didn't. Doesnt your dad have any contacts in the industry? You thought about getting your ECS card and registering with agencies as a mate? You could even start on your own, just smaller jobs to start with and any larger jobs just hire a sparks for the day/job and learn from him. Have you been round the local wholesalers introducing yourself and asking for any contacts? An old friend of mine had difficulty getting into the industry but just winged it half the time and 'over-exaggerated' his past experience but by having the drive, the passion and the willingness to learn hes now gone self-employed and has his own apprentice.

Echo the last three - get onto an agency that deals with electrotechnical hiring. In as an improver or electrical labourer you’ll work with a spark or an apprentice. Great way to get your portfolio photos stashed away too.
ECS and CSCS cards and crack on. I started training at 48 and managed to be mentored for 18 months before commercial agency work for another 10 months.
I was paid £70 a day for those first 18 months but the experience was priceless.

Thanks for all your help so far guys! It does get a bit disheartening after a while but I will just keep plugging away! I've even tried to offer to work for free to gain experience but so far people still haven't been interested....I almost wonder if they they don't think I'm being serious haha

Thanks for all your help so far guys! It does get a bit disheartening after a while but I will just keep plugging away! I've even tried to offer to work for free to gain experience but so far people still haven't been interested....I almost wonder if they they don't think I'm being serious haha
Don't offer to work for free. Say you will labour for them for £50 per day. They will take you serious then.

Thanks for all the advice guys I appreciate it.

I had a good chat with my college tutor and have decided to continue on with the quals.

I'm thinking long term I might go into cctv installations as in my previous roles I've worked with IT software etc so I would enjoy installing them then programming/setting them up. Who knows if you would make good money doing just that though.

Cheers

Reply to A Hi & advice needed...have I made a mistake? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock