Discuss A picture paints thousand words in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Bluecat34

Dear All,

I took this photograph as because I need a new box. I need a new box as the switch on this one do'es has ceased to function. I found it ceases to function as my washing machine shut down.

I have three questions,

1 What is the correct description of this box?

2 As a novice to electricity are they easy to fit?

3 Is it mandatory to have socket, with an on/ off switch?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely

Bluecat34

A picture paints thousand words 20190421_201906 (1) - EletriciansForums.net

Is is a one gang 13A switched socket outlet. Do you have a switch above the counter which also controls the socket.

1 What is the correct description of this box?
What box? That is a 13A 1 gang socket in the photo. Does another appliance work when plugged in or is the switch stuck on?

2 As a novice to electricity are they easy to fit?
An electrician is recommended as they can fully test any work carried out.

3 Is it mandatory to have socket, with an on/ off switch?
Sockets do not need to have switches, they are provided for convenience. Switches are not present on the sockets in many other countries.

If your W/M has stopped working have you checked the plug top fuse and connections?

Dear All,

Thank you for all your rapid responses and questions.

"Do you have a switch above the counter which also controls the socket", yes is the answer

"What box? That is a 13A 1 gang socket in the photo. Does another appliance work when plugged in or is the switch stuck on?"

Answer the only appliance that works is the washing machine, the switch will neither stay on or off

I have a question now, how would I go about getting a qualified electrician plus should I let him get the replacement box?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Yours faithfully

Bluecat34

You can get unswitched sockets and if you do not feel confident replacing it yourself it would be sensible to get an electrician in.

"If your W/M has stopped working have you checked the plug top fuse and connections? " Answer "I checked the 13 amp fuse by testing with an appliance that had already had the 13 amp ie my iron, and it worked"

If a picture paints a thousand words then what’s with such a long winded question? Answer " As Bob Hoskin's used to say "Its good to talk"

Thank you Westward,

The reason I asked the question about the switch was because I feel the washing machine broke the switch and if a switch is not required then it makes sense to remove the problem.

Regards

Bluecat34

"If your W/M has stopped working have you checked the plug top fuse and connections? " Answer "I checked the 13 amp fuse by testing with an appliance that had already had the 13 amp ie my iron, and it worked"

If a picture paints a thousand words then what’s with such a long winded question? Answer " As Bob Hoskin's used to say "Its good to talk"
OK but did you check the electrical connections on the lead on the W/M?

No I haven't I have been running the washing machine using a 13 amp fuse I tested in my iron and have used the washing machine twice , since then.

So I don't think its the lead, however thanks for flagging that up.

Regards

Bluecat34

@Bluecat34 , to summarise, can you confirm:
  • your washing machine has a 13A plugtop on the end of its flexible cable and the washing machine works if you plug it in somewhere other than the socket you photographed.
  • the socket you photographed is defective in that it has a "gammy" switch that fails to latch in either the open or closed position.
  • the switched FCU (fused connection unit) that supplies the socket you photographed is working correctly.
Be this the case, you simply need to ask a local electrician to replace the 13A switched outlet. As already suggested above, since you have a switched FCU, an unswitched socket would be preferable. Switched sockets behind fixed appliances are never a great idea, since flexible hoses can move as the appliance is pushed back, partially depressing the switch.

Contact, thanks for asking , yes I did get it sorted out in the end.

I called in a local electrician, who immediately noticed a dimple on the face plate; explaining and showing me one of wires on the reverse of had come loose.

This had caused it and was the cause of the dimple on the faceplate.

He fitted a new switch and I am now using my washing machine again.

May I take this opportunity of thanking everyone who reached out to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you got it sorted. Thanks for letting us know.

Reply to A picture paints thousand words in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock