Discuss A question about GFCI adapters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Does an adapter such as the link below when plugged into an ungrounded 3 prong outlet act the same way as if the outlet was replaced with a GFCI outlet in terms of shock protection? Having a difficult time figuring this out.

Someone had asked in the questions if the product works if there is no ground and one of the responses was...
"That would be a no. It checks to see if there is a fault to ground.
That is something that would more than likely need correcting for several reasons."

Just wanted to make sure that the safety improvements GFCI provides works regardless of ground or if that was only the case if the gfci outlet was hardwired into the wall.

In the UK it would not be acceptable to replace an ungrounded two prong outlet with a three prong GFCI. I believe however in the USA it is as the GFCI is deemed to function without a ground and is considered safer than the two prong outlet. Things may have changed and @Megawatt who is based in the States should give a definitive answer.

Does an adapter such as the link below when plugged into an ungrounded 3 prong outlet act the same way as if the outlet was replaced with a GFCI outlet in terms of shock protection? Having a difficult time figuring this out.

Someone had asked in the questions if the product works if there is no ground and one of the responses was...
"That would be a no. It checks to see if there is a fault to ground.
That is something that would more than likely need correcting for several reasons."

Just wanted to make sure that the safety improvements GFCI provides works regardless of ground or if that was only the case if the gfci outlet was hardwired into the wall.
Even though the receptacle doesn’t have a ground you can still plug in a GFCI adapter. A GFCI works on the principal of the neutral and a ground is just that, it’s job is for your protection.

Reply to A question about GFCI adapters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net