Discuss Admin charge for copy of MEIWC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As above, I've been asked by a solicitors for a copy of a MEIWC I did back in 2016. As some may know, I closed my business down a year ago, but I don't see why I should provide this for free, especially having paid out in solicitors fees for a recent house move. Their fees aint cheap. If it had been a customer, I'd given it for free, as I have done.

I was thinking my then hourly rate, so £30ish. Or is that being greedy! What do guys normally charge?

Definitely charge, £100.
In a similar vein we used to do periodics for a high street chain, now gone bust and when they took the contract from us due to price they kept asking for old reports because they had lost them. We quoted a £400 admin charge per report to supply a new one, they happily paid!

ask solicitor how much he charges for sending out a letter. then match it.
I recently paid £175. That was an intern not the full price for the actual solicitor too! That would have been £275. But apparently she read it first, hence the £175 I guess lol

I would be inclined to charge over £100
if you have stopped trading, then surely all that information is archived away and will take a considerable time to find and copy!?

I recently paid £175. That was an intern not the full price for the actual solicitor too! That would have been £275. But apparently she read it first, hence the £175 I guess lol
That is the kind of fees I was charged recently , and £750 per hour and pro rata per visit.

I’ve yet to ask exactly why it’s needed, but they did say they contacted the NIC to obtain a copy, but were declined. So it can’t be for my old customer.

It is a very good point.
That certificate was provided to your customer who you were contractually obliged to give it to.

They paid for it, and might not be happy for you to hand out copies to anyone willing to pay for a copy.

What do you think the solicitor would say if you asked for a copy of next doors house purchase?

Maybe worth giving the original customer a call to ask if they would send a letter to you asking for a copy to be sent to the solicitor.

If this is part of a house sale etc. Then all should be fine.
If someone has been injured or the house is burnt down, you could be setting yourself up for a whole lot of pain.

After giving it some thought, I think I would tell them that it is not something you are willing to do.

The issue is part of a house sale. My original customer (vendor) did not store their Minor Works certificate. The buyers solicitor wants a copy of the MW’s. Certsure are (for some reason) only able to supply compliance certificates to solicitors.

I awaiting conformation that Certsure (Elecsa) have no objections. I will then supply a copy of the MW’s, charging a modest fee for my time, taking on board members advice.

Something to note; this is another example where people are having electrical work carried out at their properties, and not being done by a competent electrician and not supplied with appropriate documentation. Then finding complications when trying to sell their properties.

The issue is part of a house sale. My original customer (vendor) did not store their Minor Works certificate. The buyers solicitor wants a copy of the MW’s. Certsure are (for some reason) only able to supply compliance certificates to solicitors.

I awaiting conformation that Certsure (Elecsa) have no objections. I will then supply a copy of the MW’s, charging a modest fee for my time, taking on board members advice.

Certsure can't supply a copy of the MW certificate because they don't have a copy of it. They would only have a record of your notifying the job to them.

Certsure can't supply a copy of the MW certificate because they don't have a copy of it. They would only have a record of your notifying the job to them.

Certsure own/run NICEIC & Elecsa. NICEIC & Elecsa use their software. One of the concepts of using this software (like all the other schemes) is storage. So why wouldn't they have a copy?

Reply to Admin charge for copy of MEIWC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock