Discuss Adult Apprenticeship in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening anyone reading this.

My name is Josh. I currently work as a Security Technician installing/programming various alarms, intercoms, access control, and cctv systems. I have my Certificate 3 in Telecommunications with endorsements.

I am looking for an adult apprenticeship to duel trade in an industry that I thoroughly enjoy. Any advice to attain one would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone on here can offer an apprenticeship that would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Hi Josh Great to hear you want to solidify your skills and start an apprenticeship. As an adult mature apprentice I am happy to give you some advice and tips and warnings from my experience which has been a mixed bag so far. I really thought it would be lots of learning and inspiring but sorry to say it hasn't. I don't want to be a turn-off but it is hard. You need to be prepared. I will explain what other don't.

- In terms of getting an apprenticeship well I found contacting employers directly works best showing your interest.
-Once you have found an employer make sure after 3 months that you have received a training contract and signed it! You will also need to enrol with a RTO for the course. TAFE or a private entity such as NECA, or these guys might help you out https://electricalcollege.edu.au/get-electrical-certification/
- Keep a good record of your work experience and take photos of your work.
- Most Tafe teachers i encountered treat adult apprentices like underage school kids most of the time. TAFE don't teach but rather read out the textbooks and powerpoints, and some still teaching from old workbooks. Don't expect to be learning from TAFE classes too much. An apprenticeship is more about self-learning and asking questions and reading and watching videos.
- it is a big sacrifice to work and study for 4 years. Can be tiring especially need to drive long distances for work regularly. Finding a job closer to home is an advantage.
- Expect to do mainly donkey work the first 2 years - cleaning, picking up tools, deliveries, ordering, running conduit, digging, drilling, changing lights, and very basic work.
- The key is finding a good employer to support you, who respects you, and wants genuinely to teach you rather than hiring you as being cheap labour (many employers are contractors and depend on others to teach you)

Reply to Adult Apprenticeship in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net