Discuss Advice on 3Phase Hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Indeed, 3 phase is always a good choice for heavy loads, It's good many new houses are being provided with 3 phase as standard now. I'd love a 3 phase supply in my house.

0.8 is a worst case Power Factor used in a 3phase current calculation assumed for the induction electromagnets

An induction hob works at high frequency and from the point of view of the electrical supply, looks like a high-power switched-mode PSU, rather than inductive coils themselves which are on the other side of the inverter circuit. How good the input power factor is depends on the quality of engineering design in the electronics.

Even where the supply is adequate to take the full load on one phase, there is an advantage to having it spread over three which is that the smaller each indivisible load current is as a fraction of the total, the more effectively diversity smooths out the bumps. It's better to have a bit of cooker and a bit of heater on each phase, than all the cooker on one and all the heater on another even if the maximum currents are theoretically equal. This is in addition to the theoretically-desirable-but-not-usually-very-important aspect of balancing the load for VD reasons.

Otherwise many thanks, I don't think this forum is for me.
I wouldn't give up on the place as there's no end of useful advice, however forum posts can be difficult to discern intent from and some text can appear quite blunt when no offence is meant.

Agreed, hang around @smokeyc, there are a lot of friendly, helpful, knowledgable people here. Replies sometimes come over as a bit brusque but some of the more prolific contributors plough through dozens of enquiries in a day and can't afford time to pussyfoot around. We need to grill the OPs to discover exactly what's what and weed out the numpties!

Reply to Advice on 3Phase Hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net