• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Advice on Getting on-site ASAP in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've recently been made redundant from my previous job and looking to make a career change to become an electrician.

I've been researching the different ways to get into the career, and get the idea that my best bet is firstly gaining some experience as an electricians mate.

I've seen a few 'Electricians mate/Labourer' jobs listed in my area, and have previous experience as a general labourer, but did not have a CSCS card.

Will I be able to get on site with a labourers green CSCS card, or do I need an equivalent ECS card?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

the cscs card will get you past the site gestapo. but only as a labourer or sparks' mate.

Hi everyone,

I've recently been made redundant from my previous job and looking to make a career change to become an electrician.

I've been researching the different ways to get into the career, and get the idea that my best bet is firstly gaining some experience as an electricians mate.

I've seen a few 'Electricians mate/Labourer' jobs listed in my area, and have previous experience as a general labourer, but did not have a CSCS card.

Will I be able to get on site with a labourers green CSCS card, or do I need an equivalent ECS card?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
it varies from site to site, before I got my ECS Card I used the green CSCS Card.

I've only been pulled up on it once and all what happened is I had "General Labourer" written on my induction form and by lunchtime I was in a flat first fixing :rolleyes:

A bit wrong in my opinion because I was never asked for my qualifications so in theory I could of been a gardener trying his luck :eek:

Welcome :) Hope the guys and gals here are sorting you out :)

Reply to Advice on Getting on-site ASAP in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back