Discuss Advice please in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

This is all very interesting - Having qualified in the last 12 months I have found the legistlation a bit of a nightmare- as I said in previous post I have a very flexible LABC who don't really seem too interested. As their senior surveyor told me "I have no room to file all these certificates". Its this part p thing thats a killer - having taken, and passed the part p exam I then found I was required to part with another large sum of money to register. Not done it yet as £117.50 to LABC for notifyable is not killing me for the time being. After 30 years in military I thought I was getting away from too many rules and regulations when I decided to go down the electrician route. How wrong could I be. I have learned more in the last few weeks on this forum than any of the books/statutory instruments ever taught. I wish I could just concentrate on getting on and doing a good job, instead of worrying about who wants what certs and when.

I have done loads of nic stuff (for others)

My own (none nic) stuff is a better job, 100% of times
in your opinion .im going to invent a engine that can run off the gas produced from bullshine :eek: i reckon you and carter could produce enough between ya to run eddie stobarts fleet for at least six months:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify a few points.

Part P is a self certification scheme. Ie electricians registered under the scheme can only certify their own work, no one elses.

A lot of LABC will not accept a PIR in place of a Part P certificate as this only indicates that electrical installation safety tests had been carried out, but a PIR does not verify that the installation complies fully with BS7671:2008
requirements- ie cable routings etc

The LABC will supervise and pass off the work without the need for a Part P certificate, However they will want to inspect the the erection of the installation from the beginning, first fix of cables, cable routes etc.

There are whole a lot of reasons why I personally wouldn't sign of someone elses work under a Part P scheme, but the main one is Public Liability Insurance. The premium for P.L.I rises considerably when you are certifying other peoples work and as such I doubt an electrician would be covered for issuing a part P certificate on work not carried out by himself.

Unfortunatley the OP is in an unfortunate position as his extension is nearly finished and the only advice I can offer is for him to try and contact the electrician direct and ask him to complete the work and issue a Part P certificate (assuming he can issue a Part P certificate)

Just spoke to a very helpful guy in Building control. He is going to check on whether there is a work around to my issue and let me know later today.

If he can't, I'm going to have to rip off everything that covers any cables, basically the ceilings, the plaster and the tiles. :(.

Just spoke to a very helpful guy in Building control. He is going to check on whether there is a work around to my issue and let me know later today.

If he can't, I'm going to have to rip off everything that covers any cables, basically the ceilings, the plaster and the tiles. :(.

Hi
Please keep us informed as to what goes on ,and dont go ripping down the ceilings thats rubbish ,who ever told you that is a ----:eek:
all the best with it

Spoke to helpful, Building control guy again. He said there is a possibility that they can do something but he needs to be clear on the legal ramifications before he can commit.

there is another way? get a new c/u fitted and not only give you the part p you want but get a 10 year cert aswell.and by the way to other sparks napit do 3rd party testing but on your own neck if the routes of cable are in the wrong zones etc.thats why building control ask to remove and replace the cable.

Showing how good Part P is and how it makes sense of the industry situation take this scenario.
A fully qualified electrician, not local authority registered, employed by the local authority within the building control department, rewires his own house. He is not able to certify the work with a Part P certificate and so contacts building control and pays for an inspection. He is then sent by building control to certify the work he has carried out in his own home.

Ah, you say, that could never happen. Well it did this year in a local authority near me.
Considering that a major three phase installation can be signed off by a "competant person" the need for Part P still baffles me.

Showing how good Part P is and how it makes sense of the industry situation take this scenario.
A fully qualified electrician, not local authority registered, employed by the local authority within the building control department, rewires his own house. He is not able to certify the work with a Part P certificate and so contacts building control and pays for an inspection. He is then sent by building control to certify the work he has carried out in his own home.

Ah, you say, that could never happen. Well it did this year in a local authority near me.
Considering that a major three phase installation can be signed off by a "competant person" the need for Part P still baffles me.

That just about sums it up ,total madness:eek:

Just spoke to Building Control and they have informed me that they will do it, subject to a fee. I'll have to fill in some forms etc.

I'll try and get some more info regarding the legislation if I can.

Cheers for all the advise guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advice please in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock