Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Advise on Powerline usage in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bleys

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all

Looking for some advise on Powerline usage. We have an old house with thick stone walls so I have successfully extended the ethernet network using a powerline product. At the furthest end is a wireless modem router set as a wireless access point only and which also has some RJ45 connections in use. I recently upgraded the powerline product to a gigabit (so called) version and whilst I know I would never get high speeds it certainly seems to be faster and looks like I am usually getting in excess of 200Mbts so I am happy with speed. Trouble is the modem router that I use to extend the wireless network doesn't seem to like the new powerline even though it worked fine with the old one. I don't know if it's a standard issue of the fact that it's 10/100, but I get now wireless and a degraded wired connection.

Anyone have a view on the best product(s) to replace the old router? Do I need a 10/100/1000 router at the far end or just a newer router? Am I best using a hub and wireless AP seperately?

Thanks
Bleys

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
S

Steven Brooks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hello members,

Tips and Considerations on Upgrading to Wireless N
1. Use the Same Manufacturer for All Gear
2. For Full Improvements, Replace Adapters
3. Don't Mix Wireless B/G with N
4. By Default, the Higher Speeds Won't Work
5. Use 40MHz-wide Channels Only with Strong Signals
6. Carefully Select 40MHz-wide Channels
7. For Fastest Wireless-to-Wired Connections, Go Gigabit
8. For Best Throughput, Take Advantage of the 5GHz Band
9. Don't Use WEP or WPA
10. Make Use Of your Old Wireless B or G Gear

Thanks and Regards,
Steven Brooks

Last edited by a moderator:

UNG

-
Mentor
Arms
Hello members,

Tips and Considerations on Upgrading to Wireless N
1. Use the Same Manufacturer for All Gear
2. For Full Improvements, Replace Adapters
3. Don't Mix Wireless B/G with N
4. By Default, the Higher Speeds Won't Work
5. Use 40MHz-wide Channels Only with Strong Signals
6. Carefully Select 40MHz-wide Channels
7. For Fastest Wireless-to-Wired Connections, Go Gigabit
8. For Best Throughput, Take Advantage of the 5GHz Band
9. Don't Use WEP or WPA
10. Make Use Of your Old Wireless B or G Gear
Are you suggesting using an open wireless network or what alternative do you recommend to secure it

C

Coolsmoke

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Perhaps worth noting that while Powerline et al. are all hooting about these 1000 Mb/sec speeds, your average 1-2yr old PC/laptop still only has a 10/100 network adapter.

In short unless you're machine's fitted with a 10/100/1000 adapter, the only way you're going to get a speed increase above 100Mbps is by running more 10/100's in parallel.

And yes, if your Router's only 10/100, it's the absolute limiting factor to your network speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advise on Powerline usage in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Scolmore Electrical Products
Top Bottom