Discuss Aid package for Marvo?...still not fixed the limit then! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

forgive my ignorance, but is cape town not surrounded by water? something to do with an ocean?

Got friends and family in Cape Town. They are not looking forward to whats approaching on day zero. They are prepared if it turns in to riots and fighting etc to leave the cape and stay with other family up in Durban in KZN. My uncle reckons the folks in the townships with riot and go on a looting spree. Also thinks that the native south african blacks will turn on the non SA blacks from zimbabwe like in the recent riots.
They have been told they will have to go collect water from standpipes and think its 25 litres per person. the breweries have stopped bottling beer and are now filling them with water in preparation. My family down there are fortunate as they are wealthy by most local standards and are looking at splitting the cost and having a small tanker deliver water to them to store in clean barrels. You cant live without water so they have no real choice.
My uncle is looking into using his engineering skills from when in the Rhodesian military to try and make a desalination system that will produce enough each day for there needs, they live in camps bay right on the beach front surrounded by water which is a bit ironic.

Yeah, it really is a sorry state of affairs. I'm not worried about the rumours of riots, rumours like this always do the rounds with any major event and the press just make them viral by using them as click bait. They never come to anything.

I stay on the Southern seaboard about 30-40 minutes drive from the city centre in a sparsely populated area and I'm fortunate enough to have a borehole on my property.

Up until now I've only used it for irrigation and filling my swimming pool but in the last month or so I've made some plumbing alterations and now use borehole water for everything in my house except my kitchen sink cold tap, my coffee machine and my soda machine, both of which are permanently plumbed items.

I've got no intention of standing in line for water. I've left provision to add filters and a UV-C germicidal unit and go completely off-grid with my water supply.

At the moment I'm ironing out a small issue where we were getting air from the borehole system causing the showers to 'spit' every few minutes. That problem is already sorted out for the mostpart. Later this week I'll start the installation of the filters and UV-C unit and probably finish them this weekend so by the time day-zero arrives and the water is turned off I'll be able to fully focus on quelling any local rioting :)

I don't think it will be much of a secret, I'm already getting requests from wifeys family and friends to supply them with water should the big day arrive. We really don't have much in the way of security issues where I am, we don't have bars on the windows, we don't have an alarm and most of the time we don't lock the doors or windows when we go out. That said, if a push came to a shove I've got a couple of well stocked gun safes.

Reply to Aid package for Marvo?...still not fixed the limit then! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock