Discuss Air Source Heat Pumps... Questions! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Listening to the radio the other day, and UK govt has announce no new gas boilers to be sold by 2035 and everyone should go with ASHP... £5k grant to get one..Let me add... only england and wales. We'll stick with peat up here for now.
The following questions.
Probably easy to answer, but just pretend i'm an idiot for 5 minutes

They work by extracting any residual heat in the open air, compressing it and using it to heat the home.... so why are they outside and not inside, extracting already warmed air?

They dont work very well with microbore to radiators. The phone-in callers on the radio said they had to increase the pipe sizes, thus adding to the install costs. Also having to increase the sizes of many of their radiators.

The heat that comes out of these isn't as hot as a traditional boiler... so where do you get hot water? Immersion heater to top-up?

What i saw on a news programme, you get the unit outside... another inside, plus a water tank.. So takes up much more space than a wall mounted combi boiler, that can hide in a kitchen cabinet if need be. Not a lot of one bedroom flats have any space for such equipment.

And discuss.....

Firstly... you need to take what you read/hear about in the media with a pinch of salt... reporters are generally not technical and mis-understand alot of things... I think the plan is to ensure that boilers sold after a certain date can be easily converted to run on Hydrogen as well as Gas.

Think of it like an air conditioner in reverse.
You take heat from where it's not wanted and pump it to where it is wanted. If you had the unit inside the house, it would extract the heat from the warm air to heat up the water tank, making the house cold in the process.

There are different ways to implement 'heat pump' technology... the way you describe is often used in the anti heat pump argument as it's trying to directly replace a gas boiler with an Air Source Heat Pump. The simple fact is... that heat pumps are not a 'one-solution-for-all' thing. Making them work in some properties will be extremely difficult.... but will be very easy to implement in others.

For example... the 1 bedroom flat that you mention would be better served by an air based system, not a traditional wet radiator system... owing to it's small size and low heating need.

My frustration with all these big government ideas is that miss the most obvious change of all.... the building regulations should be amended to ensure that all new properties built from now on... have significantly better insulation and heat pump heating systems. We are still building thousands of very low quality housing... with gas boilers in them !!!

They work by extracting any residual heat in the open air, compressing it and using it to heat the home.... so why are they outside and not inside, extracting already warmed air?

Air source Heat pumps absorb heat from outside air, Ground source from out of the ground, yes even when the ground or outside air are lower than the temperature of the heat or water the units eventually produce, that's the magic of Refrigeration.
Neither source the heat from inside the house, if they did it would be called air conditioning and the house would be cold.

It's not a load of tosh, it works and has been doing so for years and years.
What is tosh is the cost of doing it, nowhere as cheaply as gas can.

The water flow temperature is lower, so radiators and pipework have to be bigger usually, to get the same amount of heat into the rooms.
Yes immersions are involved to get the water to a higher temperature.

Heat pumps can work very very well... BUT they need to be implemented correctly. I'm led to believe that they are very popular in Scandinavia... where it's a alot colder than it is here !

The reason Heat pumps are grant assisted is the same as Solar panel, wind turbines, biomass boilers etc, none of them are make financial sense without it.

Heat pumps can't heat hot water to tap temperature so can't be instant like Combi hot water, you need to go to a storage cylinder as in the past, or in my case still now, so it can be boosted with immersions.

Correctly designed systems work, but the more a house looses heat through lack of insulation the bigger the heat pump needs to be.
It works in Scandanavia because they've had triple glazing and wads of insulation in their timber buildings for years, but the main reason is they have massive hydro electricity.

Just connected up one of the latest GSHP from Stiebel. Amazing bit of kit.
First thing is that heat pumps can convert 1KW of electrical energy to up to 5KW of heat. Great BUT there is a direct linear relationship between their efficiency and the temperature of the water produced. i.e. to get the maximum efficiency like 5KW of heat from one KW of electrical energy the water is only heated to 35 degrees. The higher the temperature you need the water, the lower its efficiency, i.e at 45 degrees it drops to say 4KW and at 55 degrees it can be below 3KW.

The latest heat pumps can recover the "hot gas" off the compressor getting heat up to 65 degrees, so actually you dont need an immersion heater to get the hot water but its a lot less efficient but still more efficient than an immersion heater.

To get the best out of them, you need UFH as radiators running at 35 degrees would be a lot bigger and quite an ugly solution but to get UFH in a house it is best done at the build stage as your floor needs to be several inches lower to accommodate the pipes and insulation.

The main issue for the older tech heat pumps is that to get the water at 55 degrees the whole heating system had to be run at the same temperature meaning that people never got the real maximum effciency, hence alot of the older ones run at 35 degrees and run immersion for water, with solar panels this can be offset, somewhat

Listening to the radio the other day, and UK govt has announce no new gas boilers to be sold by 2035 and everyone should go with ASHP... £5k grant to get one..Let me add... only england and wales. We'll stick with peat up here for now.
The following questions.
Probably easy to answer, but just pretend i'm an idiot for 5 minutes

As an aside; these are devolved matters and, rather than use something similar to the plan worked out for England & Wales, Scotland will almost bankrupt themselves, while NI will devise a plan that's wide open to exploitation and lead to the average homeowner eventually receiving 5% of the expected grant.

Funnily enough I was watching couple of youtube vids about heatpumps yesterday.. Make what you will out of these, not looking favorable for heat pumps thou !

Correctly designed systems work, but the more a house looses heat through lack of insulation the bigger the heat pump needs to be.
It works in Scandanavia because they've had triple glazing and wads of insulation in their timber buildings for years...
That's why the sooner the Building Regulations are changed the better !

Heat pumps can work very very well... BUT they need to be implemented correctly. I'm led to believe that they are very popular in Scandinavia... where it's a alot colder than it is here !
Lived in Sweden for a few years. Installed a heat pump which heated downstairs adequately, except for the coldest weeks(minus 30 ) when I would need to supplement with standard electric heaters.Found it to be economical Used standard electric heaters upstairs. If using for air heating only they are really handy to install and also are economical. Using for hot water is where it gets complicated and potentially very expensive.
One tip about heat pumps is to give consideration to where its mounted. Otherwise the noise can become an issue.

The argument for heat pumps is simply that they run off electricity, which can be produced cleanly (eventually….) whereas a gas boiler will only ever consume fossil fuels.

Firstly... you need to take what you read/hear about in the media with a pinch of salt... reporters are generally not technical and mis-understand alot of things... I think the plan is to ensure that boilers sold after a certain date can be easily converted to run on Hydrogen as well as Gas.
Yes! that's true,

The Committee on Climate Change estimated that the scheme will install 2.5 million heat pumps in new homes by 2030 in order to meet future carbon targets.

So if it’s not gas, what will it be? Well, hydrogen could play a valuable role as part of a heating solution. Combining hydrogen with heat pumps will allow homes to stay comfortably warm, without harming the planet. Everybody wins!

The Committee on Climate Change estimated that the scheme will install 2.5 million heat pumps in new homes by 2030 in order to meet future carbon targets.

So if it’s not gas, what will it be? Well, hydrogen could play a valuable role as part of a heating solution. Combining hydrogen with heat pumps will allow homes to stay comfortably warm, without harming the planet. Everybody wins!

The problem with with trying to convert the Country and the World to heat pumps is the shortage of chips.
That problem isn't going to be sorted in weeks months or even a few years.

Modern gas boilers can run a 20% hydrogen + 80% nat gas mix and that's the immediate future plan.
However it will have to be a localised changeover and injection of the 20% into the network as not all appliances can run on the mix and as with town to natural gas conversion all premises will have to be visited and updated if required.

Getting the general public to like Heat Pump technology... faces the same problem as many other things... Gas Boilers are very cheap to run, are easy to install and everyone expects their house to have one.

It's similar to getting EVs against ICE vehicles... they are relatively cheap to run, plentiful, go 600 between fuel stops and everyone expects to have at least 1

Or getting people onto buses and out of cars... Cars take you from door to door, are often cheaper than buses, you can smoke in them if you want, comfortable and you probably won't have a smelly tramp say next to you !

If they want more Heat Pump technology in the home, and for us to move away from gas... they need to make the argument for gas much worse... I think all you can do though... is put the price up ! Imagine if gas wasn't <4p/kWh, but 15p/kWh the same as electricity. I think then... you'd see alot more people embrace the technology and see who they could implement it. I often go into houses where it's like almost 30°C !!.. the price of gas is too cheap...

Of course now I've watched a couple of Youtube videos their algorithm is bombarding me with more Heat pump company installation videos.
I found this particulary amusing, obviously not run past the Company H&S officer before posting to Youtube.
Just to note as well the steps seem to be on crushed slate not on concrete or other firm material.

Attachments

• Air Source Heat Pumps... Questions! Heat pump acrobat.PNG - EletriciansForums.net
    Heat pump acrobat.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

Reply to Air Source Heat Pumps... Questions! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock