Discuss AM I BEING TAKEN FOR A RIDE Continued....................... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Well here I am. It has been nearly three months since I began to try to find an electrician to carry out work and issue a safety certificate. I did post the results of the Agents electrician which had a whole load of things which did not quite make sense.

As advised I got hold of three electricians from filling in the Find an electrician part of this site. However when I tried to contact them there was no reply and no response from the emails I sent. A person on here then gave me the number of a friend of his who lived near me and I thought that was the end of my troubles, however four weeks down the line and even though he had picked up the keys he had still not gone in and carried out any work or inspection and he could not tell me when he could go in. He said he was very busy. Fair enough. I then asked a neighbour for their electricians phone number, two weeks down the line he had still not gone in and again as a one man band he told me that his regular customers were his priority. So I went through checkatrade and three came up, so I carefully picked what I thought was a small family business and have very good reviews. I contacted them and asked them to check the Economy 7 cable as well as anything else that required doing in the flat. They came back with quite a few C2 and C3, however not one of the issues which came up with the first electrician. All these appear to do with water and changing the kitchen cupboards ie 7.1 "the top surface is not IP rated along with the entire length. "Kitchen cupboard fcu not ip rated on top surface". On top of that they also said that they could not check the Economy 7 cable. So on top of a whole lot of new C2 abd C3's I still can get the Economy 7 cable checked. Is this normal. I have no idea what to think except these Safety certificates appear to be a bit of a con.

I am feeling quite bewildered by the whole issue not to mention stressed out. I do not know what to think to be honest or what to do.

Bearing in mind it is a rental property I would rather be safe then sorry. Any suggestions, apart from get lost!

I am the Landlord. I was just saying that as it is rented out I need to make sure the property is safe. I agree it is a bit odd. All the electrics are fine now as I got the electrician in who put in the underfloor heating to rectify some of the things that was stated in the orignal report and therefore I was expecting nothing to be found except the cable leading to the Economy 7 heating.

It is all very confusing I must say.

What is really strange is that it seems that all the electricians are snowed under with work. Maybe that's why there are lots of people are doing the DI courses.
A bit ago a mate of mine needed some work doing so I told him to post it on this forum.. he got no replies... Looks like we do need more electricians after all.

What are the code 2's and 3's? The worktops comments sound spurious unless the faceplates are broken or loose and exposing conductors.

Economy 7, these tests can be done dead. And on there certificate they can put a limitation because the live test cannot be done due to no power in the day. Need more information about FCU. Is there a broken knock out impeding the ip rating. In lame terms is there a hole around the box

I have an Agent
Get a new agent they are obviously crap. With all due respect the electrician tying you up in knots is not a position you should be in your agent should deal with it entirely. You don't get a guard dog and bark for it. If they are not coming up with the goods sack them. I would suggest you post up the certificate on here with photos and we will tell you what's what if that is doable? You can then at least be armed when confronting your "agent" re lack of resolution to what is a straightforward process to a professional.

Get a new agent they are obviously crap. With all due respect the electrician tying you up in knots is not a position you should be in your agent should deal with it entirely. You don't get a guard dog and bark for it. If they are not coming up with the goods sack them. I would suggest you post up the certificate on here with photos and we will tell you what's what if that is doable? You can then at least be armed when confronting your "agent" re lack of resolution to what is a straightforward process to a professional.
the trouble vort
when the s**t is the fan some land lords don't like paying out .

^^^^^^ completely agree, sorry to hear your problems have got worse, not all electricians are like this, looking forward to seeing this report however it as you are saying they differ so much it maybe worth going to your agent armed with both and getting them to explain why even though no works have been carried out why their electrician has produced a different report to the other that might make them sweat :rolleyes:

Reply to AM I BEING TAKEN FOR A RIDE Continued....................... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net