Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss am I in cloud cuckoo land? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

piman

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I am a head of a thriving maths department at a large independent school, earning above £40k. I am 53 and have been yearning for self employment (unshackled so to speak). I have a sound academic working knowledge of electrical principles and have done a number of simple domestic installations over the years; I am a practical person with above average DIY skills. Am I being realistic in seeking to become a trained electrician for, what will probably be, 10-12 years? What are earnings prospects (Cheshire region)/ Thank you for any help/advice.

A

Andy M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you sure you want to work out on site? It sounds like someone with your background should be working for a training provider or college, a large percentage of lads i have met ( i took a break from the tools to work in FE) really struggle with the principles and the maths is shocking!!

M

MING

Reet don't wanna sound rude but, your gonna found it very hard at your age to go self employed in a very competitive skill, but i do admire yer courage , if its your dream to do this then go for it , but sometimes the grass is not greener, i agree with the other reply, your role could be as a skills assessor in the trade so as you could get a good feel for the job all be it from a safer place. . . . .hope this helps :)

B

Burnt Fingers

I left a £40k + job some years ago for personal reasons (wife, big C) and she - against all odds got better leaving moi unemployed. I soon found that at 40 I was too old to be employed so I set up a Company and employed myself.

I earn half as much do twice the work but I just love it. But then I had no choice - dunno about leaping out of safe employment unless there was no other way...

Marvo

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
No disrespect intended but at 53 you might find the physical side of general electrical installation work a problem. Being profitable is as much about speed as it is about doing a decent job.

If you earn a decent salary and your existing job issecure then it would be a massive gamble.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
so he's 57 now. according to marvo's post, he's well over the hill now. and, marvo, you're partly correct. i've slowed down a bit but can still give the young-uns a run for their money. just takes a while to get up stairs with the zimmer frame.

Last edited:
T

TPES

Although this is a very old thread he would have been mad to leave a 40k job to get into this trade, it's a struggle to earn half that amount for a lot more work, hopefully he didn't do it

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
i'll exchange employment with him!

Marvo

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I've seen it a few times, the guys stuck in a job that's admin of office wanting to get hands-on. I usually recommend they buy a Triumph or Harley and spend their weekends reconditioning it rather than a career change.

P

peanutty

think he was having a 3/4 life crisis!! bet he brought a porsche and ditched the wife for a 22 year old russian!

L

lee foster

4 Years old or not , Definitely in Cloud Cuckoo Land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Hmmm stick with £40k job for a few more years then draw pension / Go back to square 1, learn the trade, go self employed, slog my guts out building a business and all the hassle that brings.
I know what I would do.

Reply to am I in cloud cuckoo land? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom